Man destroys Arkansas' Ten Commandments monument

6 Likes

You’re not referring to the guy who knocked the things over, are you? 'Cause I’ve got some bad news for you.

I saw this on the internet back in 1993 …,

Jean Paul Sartre for Dodge Dart(re): “In my journey to the end of night, I must rely not only on dialectical paths of reason. I must have a good solid automobile, one that eschews the futile trappings of worldly ennui and asks only for basic maintenance. My Dodge Dartre offers me this elemental solace, and as interior parts fall off I am struck by the realization of their pointlessness. I might not know if the window is up or down. It is of no consequence.”

11 Likes

Impossible! Me, too. First car: white '66 Dart with red interior. Three on the tree. Ran like a sewing machine. Psych.

4 Likes

So he broke all ten commandments in one go?

20 Likes

You’re gonna want at least 30 nazi punching observations in your sample according to the central limit theorem (but now I’m struggling to recall exactly how skewness affects a distribution to make a joke about right/left skew… Blast!)

12 Likes

I don’t see anybody else here.

Yeah, I’m worth more than all these pesky kids around now. They should show me some respect and get off my friggin’ lawn.

1 Like

By one example do you mean Richard Spencer, or do you mean World War II?

Seems to me punching Nazis is the only thing that’s ever been productive against Nazis.

Well, yes. But Spencer and his ilk don’t have views that warrant mere disagreement. They believe that some people are not to be treated as human beings, that they do not have a right to exist. That’s not something you disagree with. That’s something you stand up and shout down and take to the streets to fight against.

There is nothing to be gained by a debate with fascism. You do not engage in civilized debate, or reasoned discourse, with Nazis. You do not engage in a civil exchange of ideas with Nazis. You do not invite into your community, and provide an platform from which to garner a following, to Nazis. You do not agree to disagree with Nazis.

Punching them in the face seems to work, though.

21 Likes

I’m against vandalism, but… aren’t Christians breaking one or more of those commandments on a daily basis (using God’s name idly, coveting their neighbors’ things, not obeying their parents, worshipping false gods (Technical Boy, Media), making depictions of the Lord, etc)? So, what this man did was no different from what they are doing.

9 Likes

As long as they made a monument to EVERY historical, metaphorical, or artistic representation of law and government I have no problem with a statue of the Ten Commandments. HOWEVER, since they won’t do that, there should be NO STATUE of the Ten Commandments.

9 Likes

He doesn’t need to be an athiest to have good reason to knock over that horrible thing.

3 Likes

Y’know, if that was me in the car, I would’ve selected a more appropriate song for the knocking down ceremony… Perhaps “Terrible Lie” by NIN, some Black Sabbath or Marilyn Manson would be more appropriate?

1 Like

ISTR something about graven images though

3 Likes

Totally on board with the idea of a play-list of “Music for Knocking Down Idolatrous Expressions of Cultural Supremacy”.

If Mr Reed prefers to hear the Voice of Satan advising him before he demolishes these bizarre lawn ornaments, he should give me a call, I am happy to play that role.

7 Likes

"Real Genius: comes to mind. OK, it always comes to mind.

10 Likes

Surely, O Satan, thou art but a dunce…
Though thou art worshipped by the names divine
Of Jesus and Jehovah, thou art still
The Son of Morn in weary night’s decline
The lost traveller’s dream under the hill [Blake]

It wasn’t Satan telling him to do it…it was the other guy.

You had to stop every few minutes to put more cotton on the bobbin?

6 Likes

Just following the law.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/arkansas-gop-targets-sharia-law-after-passing-bill-to-allow-rapists-to-sue-their-victims-for-abortion/

5 Likes

Moses broke those himself.
“And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses’ anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and brake them beneath the mount.”
Could be properly applied to USA of today as well, so what we have here is a modern day Moses.

Then Moses got a second set of tablets with a different set of ten commandments, and that’s where it starts to get really complicated as to what the ten commandments really are.

7 Likes