Man gasps dying words into officer's bodycam: "They're killing me right now... I can't breathe."

I think people are just burnt out by now. Even I tried to come up with something, but you know what? I’m beyond the dark humor phase. Now I just feel disheartened that this is still happening.

15 Likes

I have a vague recollection of hearing that a native american shot himself in the back several times with a rifle while in police custody. Though this was a couple decades ago. So at best it’s hearsay.

1 Like

Yeah, the money needs to come directly out of the police budget, doc the pay of all officers. Make them police themselves.

6 Likes

“Sir, we’re not killing you.” said the nice po po person.

4 Likes

Before I rush to judgement, I’d like to know more. The Oakland Police’s claim that Mr Jaramillo died of a cocaine overdose sounds like a testable hypothesis.

1 Like

A death by overdose that just coincidentally happened to occur while several police officers were sitting on him.

Note: “having a detectable level of drugs in your bloodstream post-mortem” is not the same thing as “died by overdose”.

19 Likes

It might be plausible, if it weren’t the standard go-to excuse, which makes it automatically suspect.

This sounds a lot like Excited delirium syndrome, which is something that was fabricated whole cloth to cover up taser and police restraint deaths. If the defendant tests positive for coke/meth/etc, it’s what they’ll use everytime.

4 Likes

When the hell did I say it was OK? Don’t put words in my mouth - I answered you question - which is how was he in handcuffs and not arrested - answer - it’s done all the time across the country - courts find the practice sound. Just because I am able to recognize facts doesn’t mean that I think they are good or support them.

The thanks you get for trying to be helpful on the internet. Good grief. Based on your logic admitting that people are killed on death row is the same as supporting capital punishment.

1 Like

You mean Oakland PD, which pretty much does what it wants even though it is under Federal oversight and a consent decree. Hell, you can’t even get Oakland PD to show up most of the time if you do call and if they come, only the gods know what they’ll do.

Hell, I’m a middle-aged tech worker white dude and I think twice before I call Oakland PD.

7 Likes

There seems to be something that eludes me in the USA’s judicial system as it is reported by Us news outlets. Even in cases like this, it seems it’s all about “settlements” and shit like that. Have the reporters ever heard of criminal law?

2 Likes

Police in the USA are not subject to criminal prosecution.

4 Likes

What exactly is your question?

Yes, obviously, reporters have heard of criminal law.

1 Like

Not this Popo!

8 Likes

Fun fact : in France, police as a whole isn’t subject to criminal justice either. But it’s subject to administrative justice if it tries to cover up shit. I think the concept of an administrative justice course could be at least considered in many places.

1 Like

I’m baffled by the notion of settlement being mentioned in criminal cases.

It isn’t a criminal case if the government attorneys refuse to file charges.

3 Likes

Worse than that - he was magical, too! After all, they had patted him down before putting him in the back of the car, and yet he still had a gun! Obviously we’re talking a major feat of prestidigitation and/or Harry Potter-style wizardry, here!

2 Likes

Gallows humor is humor about very unpleasant, serious, or painful circumstances. Any humor that treats serious matters, such as death, war, disease, and crime, in a light, silly or satirical fashion is considered gallows humor. Gallows humor has been described as a witticism in response to a hopeless situation. It arises from stressful, traumatic, or life-threatening situations, often in circumstances such that death is perceived as impending and unavoidable.

8 Likes

Good question. But even more… uh… pressing to me (sorry) is why it’s acceptable for officers to apply the weight of three grown men to a man’s chest and continue to do so while he says he can’t breathe.

2 Likes
4 Likes