Man grooms enormous Highland cow

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/30/man-grooms-enormous-highland-cow.html

6 Likes

A fiend of mine went to look at some Highlands with an eye to buying them. While he was there, a goat got too close to one of them. The bovine impaled the goat in the chest with a horn and tossed it over its shoulder.

7 Likes

Man, farm animals can be very sweet if they’re used to human affection and this video certainly shows it. Though certainly bovines demand a lot of respect, after all cows kill more people than other animals thought to be more dangerous.

6 Likes

Did your friend go ahead with the purchase?

2 Likes

That’s honestly some pretty solid bovine proprioception; just skimmed neatly around him even as he kept moving. Especially impressive given that horns don’t have much in the way of sensory surface to provide feedback(unless it was actually a narwhal in a ghillie suit, that’s a different case).

I’m a trifle surprised by what the guy chose for grooming, however. If you want to de-thatch a juvenile aurochs a grooming implement that looks less specced for large dogs and more specced for landscaping would seem to be the order of the day.

2 Likes

Correction; “Highland cow” should be; “Heeland coo”.

5 Likes

Looks like a Highland bull to me.

3 Likes

Pretty sure that’s a Highland bull (or steer), not a cow. Not that it likely gives much thought to gender pronouns.

3 Likes

“Highland moo”, rather?

2 Likes

It sacrificed a goat to the horns. Sad, but metal.

I can attest these things are wonderful to pet, there is a Highland festival every year near me in Ligonier at Idlewild, and Highland cattle are often there to pet.

6 Likes

A festival you say? With luxurious cows to pet? :thinking:

Edit: For those curious about the festival, i looked it up:

6 Likes

Ligonier Highland Days. Yup. Guiness on tap, meat pies, heavy objects regularly thrown. Men walking around in utility kilts.

It’s weird, but wonderful. I have a Scottish last name irl, I go every year.

5 Likes

Sounds delightful tbh, i’m sure i have no Scottish heritage (possibly Irish but unconfirmed) but i would still have a ball at such a place :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He did, but not that one.

3 Likes

That’s one big mammal.

2 Likes

Absolute unit

1 Like

Best cosplay idea ever.

1 Like

Cattle (gado in Portuguese) is how we ended up naming the herd of people who loyally supports Bolsonaro. I know better now. Forgive me, Hamish. Won’t do it again, I promise.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.