Man invents implantable switch to turn on/off male birth control

[Read the post]

Too late, for me that is.

1 Like

I’m trying hard to think of a worse idea.

“Oh yes! oh yes! oh NO, DON’T TOUCH ME THEREAAAAGH!”

8 Likes

no app? no cloud? no IoT?

20 Likes

(In 1998, while) watching a health advice program on TV, Clemens Bimek saw a segment about vasectomies, an operation he had never heard of before.

He was born in 1967, according to his web site, so at the age of 31 he had never heard of a vasectomy? That seems… odd…

6 Likes

I saw this a few days ago, and it stinks to high heaven. Folks have been working on this problem for decades and I think it is very unlikely a carpenter with no medical training managed to outwit them all.

Coverage I saw elsewhere at least mentioned that it’s hardly an “instant off” – after closing the valve, it may take three months before sperm stop showing up (not so much unlike a typical vasectomy, I understand). With that kind of wait time, I would think it would be preferable to have an appointment with one’s urologist to have the valve opened when desired.

12 Likes

It’s cute, but seems impractical and way out of date. There are already (nearly!) reversable male contraceptives: Vasogel (article, wiki) seems a lot further along; various other drugs also seem closer to being approved; and to me it seems that even a vasectomy reversal would be preferable to a light switch in the sack.

The problem with a switch is that switches are supposed to be switched. Like, today you want it on and tomorrow you want it off. But a reversable vasectomy (or its equivalent) probably only needs to be reversed a couple of times in a man’s life. Why install all this extra hardware for something that’s going to be switched once or twice in 50 years?

12 Likes

There has already been a way to do vasectomies with a special micro-valve, for some time. It was around for quite a while, wasn’t much used, and had a higher failure rate than a simple vasectomy, so the maker took it off the market. They also do a kind of vasectomy where they plug the duct instead of severing it, and that can be reversed pretty easily, more easily than a regular vasectomy which itself is reversible with a pretty good success rate.

I think the main problem with this idea for most men is that by the time they decide they want a vasectomy they are already pretty damn sure about it. If they aren’t that sure, they’re not going to pay a doctor to poke a hole in their junk no matter how simple.

Source: been thinking about getting mine for a number of years and still haven’t gotten to it.

6 Likes

I love my kids, but if my vasectomy ever does one of those 1:3000 magic reversals I might just amputate. Kids are wonderful but fucking exhausting.

9 Likes

seconded, on both accounts.

1 Like

Exactly. This might not be something you want to be able to reverse on a bar bet.

5 Likes

This seems like an okay idea, terrible implementation. I can’t even remember which way is on on my light switch.

And if you switch it on a bit (accidentally or on purpose) you’re now fertile for weeks. Finally not sure how comfy having two hard gummy bear sized things stuck in your ballsack would be - forget wearing anything tight!

5 Likes

Yeah, I have a habit of idly flipping switches on devices back and forth, just for the satisfying click of it. This seems like a bad idea.

4 Likes

or cycling.

this thread has convinced me that this is a bad idea, but when do i get “the pill” or “the shot”? we put a man on the moon etc…

6 Likes

if you want an entirely unsolicited opinion - a vasectomy, in combination with a long term sexually exclusive relationship, is wonderful beyond reckoning. Lower failure rate than basically anything else, and consequence-free unprotected sex for the rest of your life. I wouldn’t count on it to be reversible, but once you’re certain that you are at or above your lifetime quota for reproduction, it’s a tiny cost for excellent benefit

6 Likes

Just whatever you do, buy an oversized cup. I got heel kicked square on the incision by my daughter 3 days after the surgery. Ended up with 3 hematomas, took me 6 months to walk right again.

2 Likes

It also sounds like we should stay away from your daughter after surgery too.

11 Likes

it was kind of a freak accident, but yes.

3 Likes

“It’s cool, baby! I’ve got the safety on.”

10 Likes

What’s the point of this? What percentage of the population is going to want to toggle their fertility with a frequency that would require a physical switch? Not to mention accidental activation/de-activation. Is there a use-case for this that makes any sort of sense at all?