Man learns his walnut cracker is actually an old grenade

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/26/man-learns-his-walnut-cracker.html

9 Likes

Also, be careful when searching for “worlds biggest nuts” on the internet.

24 Likes

If it is that type of grenade, I would think they would make piss poor nut crackers.

7 Likes

Call Homeland Security.

4 Likes

Just go old school

10 Likes

Well, if it worked true to its intended purpose, it would indeed crack a nut or two.

13 Likes

Hah. Poseurs. I take my Brazilnuts and drop them on abandoned land mines. Works every time.

23 Likes

“Nut cracker”? That’s clearly a (Chinese variant of a) “potato masher.”

18 Likes

This is why a knowledge of history is important.

27 Likes

Looks like it is the Japanese variant, as seen below. Not surprising if it was picked up in China.

http://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/middleeastasia/japan/type98.html

Of course, dummy grenades were used by all WWII armies for training. It may be one of those. Just unscrew the bottom of the handle. If there’s a string there, pull it and you’ll find out in a few seconds.

17 Likes

Lolipop_jones:

I’d get someone else to pull the string.

5 Likes

Possibly. The the text in the photo identifies it as a Type 67, but who knows what it really is without having a weapons historian look at it.

man…you can’t even get real grenades in china these days! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
this knockoff economy has gotten out of hand…

15 Likes

Under the Trump trade plan, we’ll build all our grenades here in the USA again, and by golly, every single one of 'em will work just fine.

1 Like

Was about to say that. I was just wondering how it got to China, but then I read the comment by lolipop_jones thats a japanese model.

1 Like

I’d suggest a howitzer.

4 Likes

If I was that guy I’d have had it checked to make absolutely sure it can’t explode and then continued using it to crack nuts because that is a pretty cool nutcracker. In fact, where can I get one?

2 Likes

either the worst or the best walnut cracker ever.

6 Likes

And it looks kind of like the head is wooden, which would indicate that this is a training dummy. Which could easily imagine somebody thinking would be a funny, novelty nut cracker.

1 Like

Wait, we can give exploding nut crackers as gifts? Where was this story two weeks ago?!!!

4 Likes