Man makes improved glitter/stink bomb package to delight porch pirate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/16/man-make-improved-glitter-stin.html

4 Likes

Warning: this video contains Macaulay Culkin!

ETA:
I found an Easter egg: The start location of the package in the example tracking map is the Home Alone House.

19 Likes

Just going to ask if they’d also hired better actors this time around.

8 Likes

What gets me is that people just don’t seem to care that they’ve been caught stealing and are less concerned then if they had stubbed their toe.

6 Likes

While the original video did include parts that weren’t genuine, my understanding is that Rober wasn’t in on it and he re-uploaded the video with the non-genuine parts edited out.

7 Likes

Moral of the story: don’t get on the bad side of an engineer.

11 Likes

I particularly enjoyed how he got revenge on the guy who pretended to participate and then stole the package for himself.

6 Likes

As a furry I was vaguely annoyed at my culture being used like that. But then we ruin everything so I guess it works out.

7 Likes

As a Scorpio, this part was particularly satisfying to me. Elegant.

2 Likes

Yeah, that one annoyed me too. Especially since he used the actual name of the big Texas furry convention with the actual dates on it. The rest of his postcards are either entirely made up or are largely-faceless corporations. Pointing unknown people at Furry Fiesta just sounds like a great way to incite some unwelcome harassment. With the regular right-wing security headaches targeted at furry cons and an actual chlorine gas attack at MFF a few years ago, let’s just say that “lol, I’ll send furry stuff to this guy’s neighbors on the assumption that they’re Republicans, what a lark!” left me a little cold.

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know that. Does seem like a lapse in judgement. A fake convention would have been just as effective. If the neighbors googled it and didn’t find it, that would just make them more suspicious.

4 Likes

The weird postal/Scientology vendetta against the guy who decided not to play nice for whatever reason is just plain creepy and borderline (at least) harassment. Not cool.

Meh, no tears for the twit who conned him. He got his just desserts, and the Scientologists can go fuck themselves. The video heavily implied though that the mailers were custom fabrications. It’s troubling that at least the furry convention is real. That’s not cool.

7 Likes

Yeah. It’s the implied threat of violent retaliation against the poor sap for shits and giggles that I don’t like.

2 Likes

I don’t think it would lead to violence. Texans get stereotyped, but suburban Texans aren’t going out and assaulting people for being furries (most are just confusedly bemused by it if they even know about it). The Church of Scientology will send him unsolicited junk mail for the rest of time, but also aren’t going to go beyond that with a non-member.

I don’t see it as threatening violence, just a massive pain in the ass. I’m okay with revenge against assholes. If I thought violence was implied, that would go beyond revenge and I wouldn’t be okay with that. But I don’t.

2 Likes

Two oddities: The perps seem oblivious to the fart spray. And the glitter distribution still seems weak. It’s more of a glitter fountain. The late Rip Taylor would not approve. https://youtu.be/ebiT8mlCvZY

2 Likes

Well, just the very claim of improvement did serve to scam in viewers for the main event: A Bose ad.

5 Likes

Is it unethical to replace the glitter with bank-grade die pack, the fart spray with bear spray, and the pretend police scanner with a multidirectional taser shot?

Asking for a friend.

3 Likes

The bear spray is a little over the top; that stuff can mess you up.

I would suggest the commercially available Coyote Urine.

4 Likes

I went to MFF and really glad Milo and the proud boys were a no-show.

4 Likes