Man on forklift prevents keg of beer from hitting the ground

In my student days, my summer job was in a large brewery. After seeing entire palletes of warm beer bottles tip over, it’s no big deal.

9 cases of 24 per level, 8 levels? 1728 bottles popping like foam firecrackers.

3 Likes

12 Likes

When I was a brewer at Maisel in Bayreuth, I spent about three years in the keg line, running the robots that wash and fill the kegs. I got to intimately know the 30 litre and 50 litre kegs, as well as filling the older party kegs with the bung hole. And 100 litre kegs for Biergärten. Your description fits my experience.

4 Likes

There is a special name for the number 1728. It is a “great gross” which seems especially apropos for that many “foam firecrackers.”

6 Likes

They say on an August day you can still smell Genny Cream on the wind.

2 Likes

The bottles had been cooled down from the pasteurizer, but that beer was still very warm. (It was much nicer intercepted cold from the filler on Friday night shifts. :smirk:)

ETA: Urban explorers in the old place!

http://vishwawalking.ca/get-lost/montreal/dow-brewery.html

2 Likes

NORRRRM!!!

Yes that’s a sentence.

3 Likes

It nice to see a few Americans still have their priorities in order.

~nominates forklift guy for director of homeland security ~

4 Likes

I’d bet it’s probably not the first time he’s stopped an empty keg from hitting the ground. Those should really all be strapped together.

They look like empties headed back from pickup. Those don’t get wrapped. Since as soon as you get them on the ground, they’d get unwrapped. So they could be sorted for routing back to their owners. At which point they’d get wrapped again for long distance shipment.

That’s a lot of waste for something you’re gonna move a few hundred feet. Cargo straps and the like don’t work as well as you’d think on kegs. Especially empty ones. Have a tendency to lever they’re way out from under straps of any sort and fall anyway. Its why they use shrink/plastic wrap to bind them up once they’re stacked for shipping.

2 Likes

Until someone gets hit in the head with a 30 pound aluminum keg and sues the company…

1 Like

Full kegs usually are palleted with pallets between the levels, because that’s the safe (and easy) way of stacking them. It’s also a lot more stable.

ftfy

#notallrealheroesdon’twearcapes

2 Likes

This must be what Breitbart was referring to when they called James Shaw a ‘hero’ instead of a Hero.

1 Like

from the thumberliner… I thought he stuck his leg/foot out…
he probably dropped everything later

1 Like

Well yeah I would hate to see him back over his own cape.

1 Like

1 Like
2 Likes

There used to be a barbershop near us that was run by a Mr Butt, and was called, “Butt Hair Studio”. I think it was entirely unironic, which made it even funnier. :smiley:

2 Likes

<insert ‘fancy liquor’ joke here/>

1 Like