Man raises baby crow, realizes he's stuck with it for the next 25 years

I’d rather deal with crows than geese or swans

19 Likes

Corvids tend to be loyal, they aren’t that bad if they think of you as a friend. Think of this young crow as being a child wanting attention and their behaviour makes sense.

26 Likes

I made the mistake of letting a corvid into my house once.

Nevermore.

33 Likes

I think you’re misreading his terseness, Mark. He clearly loves the bugger, I don’t see any indication that he isn’t overjoyed.

13 Likes

Yes, they are the bird that behaves most like people.

8 Likes

As adults, we may find our tolerance for having a riot in the house every day has diminished

Birds are loud, they talk to each other from one hilltop to the next

8 Likes

I’ve been feeding crows in my neighborhood for a few months. They’re very territorial and yet also seem quite social. I have two that have claimed my corner of the street and will chase off others when I disperse the food for them. I have to walk down the block a few houses to disperse some for the others.

It seems like they’ve parceled up the blocks into personal hunting/feeding grounds, but before sunset they all seem to go home to the evergreens in the neighborhood in large numbers.

I’ve guessed that some are mothers because they use their beaks like chopsticks to pick up about five pieces and fly off with them as if to feed babies.

Some of them caw to let me know they’re up there in a nearby tree or electrical wire and waiting. Some follow me around until they get their fill.

11 Likes

personally, i think that geese are the dicks of the bird world. at least crows are smart. i’d love to have one hanging around (but not inside – they are loud!).

12 Likes

That’s funny, it’s been proved many times that corvids are among the smartest animals around, being self-aware, able to count and use tools, and adapt available materials to use as tools.
They’re certainly smarter than many humans I’ve come into contact with, and especially a great many who comment on social media…

Blockquote Some of them caw to let me know they’re up there in a nearby tree or electrical wire and waiting.
Not surprising at all; tests involving ravens and New Caledonian crows have proved they can not only recognise individual human faces, they can pass the information on to their offspring, and if a human has been aggressive towards individual birds, they will also pass that information on through the generations.
Size of brain is no longer indicative of rational thought - just look at your average Republican…

13 Likes

Not necessarily:

32 Likes

I’ve never seen Flipboard before, but I know it can kiss my ass if it thinks I’m going to take down my ad blocker just to make it happy.

12 Likes

came to say this.
“we want to install scripts on your device. you don’t get to watch the funny animal video unless you allow us to install scripts on your device.”
hahaahaha no.

10 Likes

If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

Henry Ward Beecher

Three crows would “walk” me to my high school every morning. They’d begin calling once they saw me start down the block, but quietly chatter a little amongst themselves during our journey. They flew from building to building, tree to tree, sometimes performing aerobatics, until we were about a block from the school. We’d then part ways, occasionally with more calls from them. When I’d come out at lunchtime, they were frequently waiting for me on the school’s huge front lawn, but would take off once they saw me. Sometimes I’d wave and tell them, “See you tomorrow!” or the like.

I never fed them anything but admiration and much affection from afar.

20 Likes

Magpies are intelligent dicks that are very territorial. Feed em occasionally and they will know your face and give you one of the best bird songs

9 Likes

Really?

The ones we have here make a sort of rapid clicking noise. It’s not unlike a crow’s caw, but clicky.

They sort of swagger about the place like they own it, shouting and swearing and telling off colour jokes in their clicky language.

Dicks.

6 Likes

Eh, at least he doesn’t have to send it to college; right?

8 Likes

The clicking is usually a warning call, lots of cats in my neighborhood, so they’ll often be clicking rapidly…

4 Likes

Yer a wizard, Merely!

6 Likes

“Only 25 years? Here, I’ll trade you.”

9 Likes

A mystic would certainly interpret this symbolically. :slight_smile:

6 Likes