Man receives a gun over the counter at a sporting goods store, loads it, and pulls the trigger

Oh, bullshit. I don’t care if the gun store employee is a Navy Seal - if they don’t catch on that the guy is a threat, by the time he pulls the trigger, no amount of training is going to help them.

19 Likes

“For Display Purpose Only”? As in no firing pin?

I have no idea, though that isn’t a bad idea.

1 Like

That was a memorable scene. He culls out good parts from various pistols until he has a smooth piece, gets bullets, then steals. A great moment of “character development.”

6 Likes

Plenty of people here know the difference. What’s your point?

7 Likes

“He’d get what was coming to him if he tried that in a real gun store” is both a No True Scotsman fallacy and also the standard Good Guy With A Gun fantasy, there is no reason or basis for denying it

19 Likes

Or tywraps on triggers if one wants a cheap and easy solution.

2 Likes

if someone steals some keys from a car dealer, and rams the car into a tree - no amount of sales training is going to stop the crash.

who the employee is, how they’re trained, or what they had for breakfast. it’s all irrelevant. none of it would have stopped this dude from doing what he did

alteration mine. no amount of firearms training can fix the fact people miss, or even that bullets can go through people.

if someone fires a gun in a public place, there is always a high risk of injury or death. ( that’s why most countries have laws to help curb such use )

the existence and use of guns in public places will forever have more bad outcomes than good ones. harm is what guns were designed for

17 Likes

No no they are fun toys for “target shooting” :dart:

8 Likes

Thanks and welcome to boing boing! Once you are a little less shiny-new, you’ll be able to add links
The update has no info on why the gun didn’t fire.

8 Likes

Every gun store I have been to in the Northeast puts ty-wraps on the triggers of guns being sold so you can’t fire them in the store. It’s a cheap and easy safety measure that doesn’t require training.

8 Likes

Bullets can go through cars. Bullets can go through houses.

That’s another thing TV/Movies mess up. They show people taking cover from heavy weapons fire behind cars/car doors. Nope. That car will barely slow down a rifle round. It’s going right through unless it hits something like an engine block or transmission.

19 Likes

ahhh. bullets. can’t live with them, can live without them. what to do, what to do. so complicated :cat2:

12 Likes
8 Likes

Man, was he ever ugly.

2 Likes

The thought crossed my mind, as I looked at the photos for a possible ID, that maybe Anthony Bourdain has a doppelganger.

1 Like

Ya think? It’s like the supposed need to have real, fully functional weapons on movie sets. For the reals, I’m told.

2 Likes

When does the ty-wrap (zip tie?) get cut off? Is it like when they take of the anti-theft tags of clothing after you pay, before the item is bagged?

I find it strange that gun stores don’t trust their responsible law-abiding good guys with guns.

6 Likes

some police cars have armor in the doors, but you’d better know that before you duck and cover directly into the path of a bullet.

3 Likes

please exit the store before doing your first murder

12 Likes

For people unfamiliar with the process, they don’t run a check if you want to look at something.

After you say you want to buy something they run the NICS background check.

11 Likes