Man struck by lightning while sitting at his office desk

You’ve just described my mom.

2 Likes

That actually took bravery!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh… Sorry!

3 Likes

That’s okay: Her nature has come in very handy from time to time. (Treading where angels fear to tread… in instances when they really, really should be treading in.)

2 Likes

Good point. Around here they’re supposed to remove the copper between the house and pole when the optical fiber is installed, but that doesn’t mean they actually will. And they certainly won’t remove anything else!

I had no idea we all were so closely related.

I’ve been hit by lightning. I feel like I’ve told y’all about it some years ago.
It didn’t feel anything like being touched by its noodly appendage.
Unless it was wielding Mjölnir.

The lightning hit a nearby utility pole and got to me through a heavy duty 14/3 gauge extension cord I was holding.
Immediately after the flashbang I stumbled to my car, leaving my tools in the beginning rain, drove home less than a mile like a Zombie, went straight to bed and slept twelve hours or so.
I felt weak and very sore for days. And very strange in a way I haven’t before or since. My heart hurt and it felt “tired”.

5 Likes

I turned off my computer and unplugged the modem when a thunder storm moved in. The end of the wire slid down against the iron bed frame and I sat on the bed to comfort my dog who was spooked by the noise. Lightning struck a pole somewhere and traveled through the wire and the metal bed frame and into the back of my leg. It felt like a giant soft sledge hammer hit the back of my leg and caused me to kick my poor dog who was already stressed. Poor guy totally didn’t understand what was happening.

5 Likes

Lightning accidents seem to be more common than my prejudice would suggest.

When a friend of mine was struck in his garden a few years ago, we were happy and astonished to still have him among the living. He recovered over about a week, but a tingling sensation in the legs stayed until his death by cancer about two years later.

No super powers, neither ironic nor real ones.

It’s not just the comic book industry, but Hollywood too! I have the same bone disorder Samuel L. Jackson’s character in Unbreakable had and I haven’t turned into a psychopathic serial mass murderer.
Yet

3 Likes

That’s exactly what a psychopathic serial mass murderer would say.

5 Likes

What is this thing of which you speak, “phone line?”

1 Like

Let’s see…a bat bite causes a person to accumulate vast wealth and a desire to develop their marshal ability, is that right?

Can I suggest a PR makeover: Thor Hand!

2 Likes

“Charlton Comics is excited to announce a new hero who’s really going to turn you on! Meet THE LIGHTSWITCH! An ordinary man gifted by a lightning bolt with the incredible ability to turn lights off and on- WITH HIS MIND! It’s LIGHTS OUT FOR CRIME! Be sure to check out issue 1, where The Lightswitch does battle with his arch-nemesis THE STROBE!
On newsstands now!”

3 Likes

I’d think his arch-nemesis would be Doctor Cylume, who’s immune to his power.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the Captain Koala origin story?

2 Likes

You would think so, right? Or at least echolocation ability. Instead all he got was a series of rabies vaccinations.

1 Like

I did say “yet”. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Good times!

1 Like

Uggh, that sounds excruciating.

Oh. My bad. I thought it was some kind of euphemism.

3 Likes