Man unclogs culvert drain

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/29/man-unclogs-culvert-drain.html

8 Likes

He deserves taller boots.

24 Likes
9 Likes

God gave me a gift. I clean culverts well. I clean culverts very well.

16 Likes

Back in 2005, a blocked culvert led to a dam failure in Alstead, NH. A wall of water swept through the town, destroying a bunch of homes and killing 8 people.

12 Likes

He’s wearing a camo hat and hi-vis vest. He just can’t decide whether he wants someone to find his water-bloated corpse.

13 Likes

What was that big chain for, the drain-stopper?

I hope the sudden increased flow didn’t cause problems downstream.

Just one guy with his bare hands. Respect.

8 Likes

Things get exciting about 4 minutes in.

Around 7:20 is better. Whatever he pulls out there really gets the water flowing.

7 Likes

This bodes well for my new Netflix series “People Quietly Moving Things From Here to There”.

41 Likes

Clickbait title:

Beavers hate this guy

34 Likes

We have a standard-sized round culvert drain at the end of the street that gets clogged up with leaves all the time. The water ends up running up over the road and is 2 to 3 feet deep if we don’t clear it. I head down there with a heavy-duty metal rake as I’m not a fan of standing on top of something like that. The suction is very intense once the water gets moving.

The most frustrating thing is that, once unclogged, the increase in the speed of the water pulls more leaves from upstream, so unclogging it the first time ends up re-clogging it even faster. It’s a terrible design.

13 Likes

The best part was when the man unclogged the drain.

25 Likes

I hope the sudden increased flow didn’t cause problems downstream.

I was thinking the same thing…surely whatever is down stream was not expecting all that water at once.

The government should be promoting this as “If You See Something DO Something.”

There was an article in the Boston Globe a few years ago about how Michael Dukakis still lives in his old neighborhood of Brookline, and picks up trash on his way to work at Northeastern University.

10 Likes

“Thank you for watching”

No, no. Thank you for keeping me entertained during the second half of a cup of coffee. That was the satisfaction I feel cleaning out my storm drain in a downpour X10.

Stay out of those ticks!

8 Likes

Seriously, at this point, I would actually watch that.

2 Likes

Works well with the K-Mart music in the other post.

2 Likes

Well, gloved hands, but yeah; no motorized equipment. But it’s more fun doing it by hand.

4 Likes

“And a big thanks to my father, for bringin’ me here, to help me clear drains”.

It seems like it’s a true calling for this guy.

7 Likes