Watch this weirdly fascinating video of a log in a whirlpool

Originally published at: Watch this weirdly fascinating video of a log in a whirlpool | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Occurred on October 8, 2021 / Astoria , Oregon, USA

“My boyfriend and I found a whirlpool that shifts daily and we went to check it out. He saw a log and the camera came out.”

Best I can tell from the scenery, it’s somewhere along the 202 next to the Youngs river.

Maybe here?
Dropped pin

Looks like a close match to the street view images

7 Likes

What did Spock find in Captain Kirk’s bathroom?

5 Likes

IANAH, but it seems that culvert allows the wetland to drain into the main flow without overtopping the road. Intentionally tossing big, cloggy stuff into it strikes me as a Bad Idea.

14 Likes

Right? This guy’s storm drain adventures are more satisfying

6 Likes

“If a log comes out here I’m gonna be impressed”

Hmm, some culverts or drains do have grilles to stop big things like that but nevertheless, what @lyd said: Don’t throw big stuff into culverts or drains. Very bad idea, indeed.

5 Likes

Industrial strength Pooh Sticks.

7 Likes

I was trying to figure out, initially, how the heck what seemed like a slow-flowing stream had a whirlpool - until they revealed it was, literally, a drain. (At which point I realized throwing a log into it was a bad idea.) The “someone’s pulled the plug” caption becomes weird in that context - I suppose it was intended as a joke, but since it actually is a drain, I’m not sure what the joke is.

4 Likes

Yikes! That is fuel for my nightmare!

1 Like

No - THIS is the fuel for your nightmares:

7 Likes

The Strid is less nightmare fuel for me, and more like PTSD fuel. :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: It has all the most terrifying elements of cave-driving, but with the added terror that you can just fall in to it.

4 Likes

“One day my log will have something to say about this.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.