Man wanted for January 6 riot was apprehended today near Obama's home with weapons cache and explosive materials

Originally published at: Man wanted for January 6 riot was apprehended today near Obama's home with weapons cache and explosive materials | Boing Boing

7 Likes

He didn’t even bother putting the bomb together before he got there? Thank goodness these people are so mind-bogglingly incompetent.

25 Likes

it sounds like it may have been something simple, that one source said “molotov cocktail”

( of course, generally, i take that worth a grain of salt considering what police label as improvised explosives when arresting peaceful protestors… but when the person’s carrying several weapons as well, and is clearly intending violence, i start to think the cops might be telling the truth )

22 Likes

Seems like a lot of fuss about a normal tourist visit to Obama’s house

14 Likes

so was he running to get to his van (and flee before it could be searched), or was he headed to the Obama’s home? (Did he know it was the Obama’s home??)

Anyway, jesus. i wish we could catch and prosecute all these insurrectionists faster.

12 Likes

Not to punish him or to try to rehabilitate him. Just to keep this terrorist away from society forever.

7 Likes

Taylor Taranto livestreamed his threats to Obama. I wonder which platform he did it on? Rumble? Facebook? TruthSocial? Twitter? They ALL have TOS, but not all enforce them.

Taranto broke the law, 18 U.S. Code § 879 - Threats against former PRESIDENT, he can be criminally punished.

But what are the penalties for those platforms that knew of the threats–that violated their own TOS–but STILL didn’t act?
Right now, there aren’t. But there should be. The Center for Countering Digital Hate did a report on how social media companies get away with not acting on people who violate their TOS. They saw that unless there were outside financial penalties, they would chose 'engagement, even engagement that involved threats of violence. This is based on the Facebook whistleblower’s reports.
The use of threats has Increased dramatically and needs to be addressed.

10 Likes

All those twit links led me to their log in page. I’m not put out by it, just thought you should know.

3 Likes

They seem to have hidden the whole website behind their login overnight.

4 Likes

A lone wolf with no ties to mainstream politics. /s

7 Likes

Trump posted Obama’s address and this guy reposted it hours earlier so yes, he knew.

11 Likes

There’s always that - reports from the police can be duplicitous. I’ve seen police reports in a newspaper story where they claim to have found a cache of “bomb making materials” only to find that what they found was pretty much standard cleaning products and the kinds of things many of us have in our garages. (As a kinkster, I am all too aware of how many of my toys and gear can be described in such reports.)

That said … While all such claims must be taken with a high degree of skepticism, I absolutely believe this schmo had real weapons and intent to use them.

6 Likes

Well, you’ve convinced me, Elon! I guess it’s time to sign up for Twitter, finally!

What a buffoon. Literally the only engagement a significant portion of the public gave Twitter is now dead. The “Digital Town Square” is now Gramercy Park, but looks like 1970s St Marks Place.

6 Likes

Exactly this. I generally only clicked in to Twitter to read links I’d been sent, I’ve no interest in signing up.

7 Likes

If you replace “twitter.com” with “nitter.net”, you should be able to see them.

3 Likes

In his photo even the carboard cutout of Trump looks annoyed by this asshole.

2 Likes

Now, just maybe, the corporate world will bail on the Musk village of hate.

Comms people must be waking up to frantic calls from their CEOs today.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.