Mantis squad activate! Watch praying mantises get aggressive in unison

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/18/mantis-squad-activate-watch-p.html

3 Likes

There.

9 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new mantis overlords.

9 Likes

Thanks bro! I needed that…

5 Likes

Small dragon, big attitude.

4 Likes

One time, I was sitting outside on my front porch, and I looked down and saw three tiny little baby mantis’s running around on the arms of the rocker I was sitting in. As I looked at them, one of the little guys raised up his arms offensively, like he was going to attack me. He was easily only a half inch long, if that… So cute, so frightening!

15 Likes

I’ve found that a lot of bugs will put up their dukes when you shove a macro lens in their face.

6 Likes

The green one is clearly the group leader - note how it takes a moment to carefully adjust the posture of its nearby comrades, and is the first to defend the bunch.

2 Likes

baby mantises, mantis’, mantisesess, manti?

We need a Merriam Webster youtube vid on this one.

4 Likes

Btw, I think there were some details missing… Fixed it.

13 Likes

their egg pods release hundreds at a time. mine hatched when i was at school and i came home to a desk and living room overflowing with nymphs

5 Likes

Surely this is less “attack mode” and more “defense mode” (i.e. “I am big and scary and you definitely don’t want to eat me!” in response to a threat). Because while mantises are predators, they’re also pray prey.

6 Likes

i won’t lie, i was worried for the little guy.

4 Likes

The pale green one is big preggers.

2 Likes

Ah yes, much better,

those crawlies though.

*focus back to unic/ *
ah, much better.

1 Like

What you did there, I see it.

3 Likes

Awwww. All they want is a hug.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.