Map breaks down most popular books set in each state

[Read the post]

Yeah we know thatā€™s Hawaii. Whatā€™s its most popular book?

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never even heard of The Art of Racing in the Rain. Doesnā€™t sound very interesting either.

But itā€™s odd to me that I ended up reading a lot of novels set in the PNW/written by Pacific Northwesterners before moving here (thinking Chuck Palahniuk, Neal Stephenson, William Gibson and Doug Coupland, off the top of my head). Must be fate.

Never read any Twiglet, neither.

Also, isnā€™t Brave New World set in the UK more than New Mexico?

No series of books? Then what is the green mile doing there?

1 Like

It was released again as a stand-alone book, I believe, not long after itā€™s initial release. People seem to forget it was originally released as a series.

The Stand is the most popular book set in four different states. Fascinating.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t American Gods in a series with Anansi Boys?

1 Like

I think they are only set in the same universe, but really arenā€™t considered a seriesā€¦? They can be read stand alone.

I still am waiting on the HBO series and the sequel. If Neil would stop knocking up AFP, we could get our American Gods part the second (kidding about AFPā€¦ I saw her on her recent tour, she was pregnant and lovely).

Actually, five - they forgot Arizona when listing them in the detailed part of the article. The article does get it right in the opening paragraph, though.

1 Like

The Color Purple, FTW in GA! Iā€™m glad itā€™s that and not the Walking Dead. I love the Walking Dead, donā€™t get me wrong, but The Color Purple should be required reading for all.

1 Like

Conversely, they only credit Delaware as a location in Beloved ā€“ which is where the story is ā€œtoldā€ ā€“ when the entire plot spans decades and quite a few states.

1 Like

Parsed it as most popular books read in each state, and kept thinking this canā€™t be right.

I donā€™t remember exactly*, but isnā€™t The Stand kind of set all over the USA? Does that mean the four states really had nothing very popular just about them and had to share?

*I do remember Maine, because Maine is always there somewhere with Stephen King, isnā€™t it?

I think the main settings were Maine, Nevada, Arkansas, and Coloradoā€¦ Massachusetts too (if iā€™m remembering correctly)?

1 Like

*"Leaves of Grass" for Virginia? How so? Is there another one apart from Walt Whitmanā€™s poetry?

They said they excluded books from series that couldnā€™t stand alone. But Twilightā€™s first volume, while obviously wanting sequels, stands by itself just fine, and really belongs to have the Washington State slot.

Not a single duplicate~

This means that THESE ARE NOT THE MOST POPULAR BOOKS PER STATE. ONLY RELATIVELY POPULAR COMPARED TO OTHER STATES.

Easy there, caps bold. Donā€™t the multiple 'The Standā€™s mentioned above count as duplicates?

1 Like

Its a map of the most popular books SET (at least partly) in each State. So most books arenā€™t even an option in most States.

1 Like

Yes, you are right, I missed ā€˜The Stand.ā€™
So I was probably wrong, yet: suspiciously little overlap between states, which normally means that for each state they pick an option that has higher popularity than all other states, not necessarily being the most popular for that state.

I think youā€™re making the same mistake I did. Itā€™s not the most popular book sold/read in each state, but the most popular books overall with stories set in each state. As mentioned above.