"Margaritaville" singer Jimmy Buffett dead at 76

Until he dies, and then how will you keep them apart?

Imagine the embarrassment showing up at the wrong grave to piss on.

I’ve been on the Natchez!

6 Likes

It’s a location in downtown ATL, near where the GA Aquarium is. It’s a hot tourist spot, because of that, the Center for Civil and Human Rights, Olympic Park, the giant ferris wheel, and it’s at one end of the street car loop (which goes between there and King Center in Sweet Auburn). Plus, Mercedez-Benz stadium is near by as is GSU… So, it’s a popular spot for building restaurants, since lots of tourists and locals frequent the area.

This location is just west of where the Capitol building and GSU are located, and south of GA Tech…

If you’ve never been to ATL, you probably have no idea where I mean! :laughing: Sorry!

Here is a story about the controversy…

Anyways, still mad about it. :rage:

10 Likes

He came to NOLA often and always filled the crowd with a mellow, fun-loving vibe that I enjoy. I’ve had good days out on the water listening to Jimmy Buffett and hopefully will have some more

His Jazzfest shows were fun, but honestly I usually avoided them though. Not because of Buffett, but because the crowd was always very distinctly white (and too often racist).

This is from last year’s show:

(not my photo if that isn’t clear)

5 Likes

No worries. I have an aunt near Atlanta, but I’ve never been.

Understandable. There are a lot of cool old/historical building that some people feel get in the way of “progress” which is kinda dumb considering how much space we have. I love old brick and stone work buildings, for example, but once they fall into too far of disrepair, no one wants to invest to bring them back up to snuff. :confused:

I was hoping it wasn’t in New Orleans, because I have been to the Margaritaville there.

1 Like

I liked the liner notes on “Joe Jackson’s Jumpin’ Jive”. Paraphrasing from memory, he talked about the time before jazz was part of middle-class snobbery, when jazz was disreputable. You didn’t dress up in your fancy-dinner clothes to go hear it; you went to the sketchy part of town. Dressed sharp, of course, with with an edge that wasn’t allowed at fancy restaurants. And - to extrapolate from his words - a festival called “jazzfest” would be a social scandal for the city I’m sure.

4 Likes

the etymology of jazz is slang for orgasm; it was originally the music played in Storyville at the strip clubs and brothels

Jazzfest has been going since 1970 and is a mix of the seedy jazz, the high-society jazz and all other kinds of music. To me one of the perfect parts is a sign just off to the left of the photo I posted that says “Exit to Mystery St.” I hope Buffett is enjoying the mystery he exited to

not a Jimmy Buffett song and hopefully not too of topic

I guess I should add this too

6 Likes

4 Likes

That’s the one! Thanks!

2 Likes
6 Likes

fuck cancer!
sun screen, people! sun screen!
also, fuck cancer!

8 Likes

Famous for “Margaritaville”, yes, but my favorite was always “Come Monday”. Pour one out for Jimmy, boys.

ETA: Note that this is the Labor Day weekend mentioned in the lyrics.

1 Like

I’d be hard pressed to name a favourite songs, as there’s so many of his that I love, but my favourite album is Fruitcakes

1 Like

Didn’t Warren Buffett do “If you love Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain”? Pretty sure that was him.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/IBetterBeFunny/status/1698037586856665201?s=20

(1/?) A quick story about Jimmy Buffett.

I worked at the New Orleans Margaritaville in college, up until I graduated in 2006. It was a good job. Busy, and with generally good tips, especially on festival weekends - and New Orleans has a lot of those.

When my friends and I evacuated Katrina, we didn’t think we’d be gone from the city for months, or that we’d lose most of our belongings permanently.

We packed light, like for a weekend away. In the week after, it became clear that we wouldn’t be going home anytime soon.

I ended up in Austin TX with the clothes on my back and little else. For the next three months, I called FEMA every day to try and get some relief money so I could replace what I’d lost.

But you know who didn’t make me wait three months? Jimmy Buffett.

Margaritaville cut us all $3,000 checks immediately after the storm, no questions asked. That money saved lives. They also let employees know that if any of us could get to ANY other Margaritaville, there was a job waiting for us.

Some friends went to Orlando.

In Orlando they were set up with clothes (all Margaritaville merch, but it was better than nothing), a job, and housing. They even comped their meals when they ate at the restaurant.

In October, the New Orleans Margaritaville reopened. With little fanfare, Jimmy played a solo acoustic show in the bar to help bring people in.

Jimmy Buffett showed up for us when we needed it. He took care of me and my friends. I’ll always be grateful.

(Yes, I know it’s a Twitter link. I’m sorry. I’m checking in just often enough to keep the account alive until I can get a BlueSky link and bail. But I saw this story, and it’s too good not to share. Sounds like Jimmy Buffett was a good guy to his employees, and that should be remembered.)

13 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.