"Margaritaville" singer Jimmy Buffett dead at 76

Originally published at: "Margaritaville" singer Jimmy Buffett dead at 76 | Boing Boing

3 Likes

News of his passing was released by the family at 5pm, somewhere.

28 Likes

Photo caption: “Buffett thinking about how he makes more money licensing the name of his one-hit wonder to restaurants in Florida than Led Zeppelin’s entire back catalog generates”

27 Likes

Some people claim that it’s a woman to blame; but it was his own damn fault.

24 Likes

He’s probably enjoying a cheeseburger in paradise right now.

22 Likes

Enraging story incoming - the building that was possibly the first ever recording studio in the south (opened in 1922), here in Atlanta, was bought and turned into a Margarittaville. There was an attempt to stop it and preserve the building, but no such luck…

10 Likes

Too bad. Think of his music what you will, but he was by all accounts a decent person who managed to leverage his 5 minutes of fame into being able to live the lifestyle he wanted. Plus this puts an end to the periodic waves of Florida MAGAts throwing an online fit after finding out he was a lifelong democrat who wasn’t afraid to speak out and fundraise

30 Likes

Well, this should put and end to me constantly confusing him with Warren Buffett.

10 Likes

Yep. Saw at University of West Florida (~75) in the student union. Just him and another guitarist as he couldn’t afford to bring the whole band. Excellent time. One girl kept throwing notes on the stage and yelling play my song. At the end she screamed, “Let’s get drunk and screw”. His reply? “right after the concert.”

4 Likes

They are cousins I believe.

3 Likes

Per the Wikipedia article they were friends and called each other “Cousin Jimmy” and “Uncle Warren” but weren’t actually related.

9 Likes

He seemed alright but his fans always bugged me. Middle-aged, pasty-faced drunks in Hawaiian shirts with big torsos and bird legs. I remember being at a bar and putting some money in the jukebox to hear some Johnny Cash. A drunken Karen came up to me and blurted, “You’re gonna be waiting a while to hear your music cuz I just put in $10 worth of Jimmy Buffet songs.”

3 Likes

Oh, I had heard them called parrotheads but sort of thought it was just a nickname, and definitely didn’t realize they might have avian legs too. You’d kind of think having these human-animal hybrids around would attract more attention, honestly. But maybe it’s for the best they don’t…people can get pretty judgy with fellow humans, even.

9 Likes

… well, except that all human beings are cousins

all eukaryotic life forms, even

8 Likes

a long time ago, in another festering swamp of a place (NOLA), i worked with my stepdad on a very big infrastructure construction project. stepdad and mum were in a mardi gras krewe and this one year ('82? i think), Jimmy Buffet was the “king” of their krewe. somewhere early in the parade route, Jimmy had run out of beads and dubloons to throw to the crowds and had started to dismantle and toss parts of the float he was on. by the time he got close to the end where i was, he was holding a bottle of booze and hanging on to this mast that had been fully decorated as a palm tree and just waving the bottle around.

he was supposed to play a show for the krewe on the Natchez, but mysteriously never made it aboard.

6 feet under doesn’t actually change your latitude, but i suppose that is one final change of attitude.
RIP, Jimmy Buffet.

15 Likes

All good dreamers pass this way some day…

12 Likes

That’s not what a Karen is. Or did she call the cops on a POC who dared to play a somg that wasn’t JB?

7 Likes

… only a phase these dark café days :coffee:

6 Likes

Fair point. She didn’t threaten to call the cops on me. :^)

4 Likes

Where was that?

2 Likes