Marjorie Taylor Greene on hospital overcrowding: "We can’t live forever"

Why would she? She’s vaccinated, like all talking head conservatives.

13 Likes

I’m sure she has cancelled her health insurance then.

11 Likes

What a horrible excuse for a person…

20 Likes

that take-up reel should be rotating in the other direction

2 Likes

No. Look again.

5 Likes

She is 100% vaccinated, and putting this all on her supporters. 30% of hospital cases for one condition is huge, she has no idea. And the people who know those corona cases? They’ll be next.

11 Likes

But they’re seeing about 30% of those numbers being Covid cases. So while the news tries to tell us the hospitals are slammed packed with Covid, that’s just not the case.

I am not sure where people get the idea that hospitals by default are empty. Hospitals are like hotels. You build and expand them according to demand. When was the last time you went to a hospital and while in the ER they said “Oh, sure, we can take you straight to a room, we have hundreds available.”

So, with hospitals almost always full and a new disease appears and adds 30% MORE patients… I guess math isn’t MTG’s strong suit. I don’t have my Asshole Dictionary at hand, but I bet 130% occupancy probably falls within the definition of “slammed packed”.

And it isn’t just space. We’ve had to increase our S&D storage about 400%, because when things shut down and hoarding starts we can’t get the stuff. So these people aren’t just risking patients being seen in tents, they’re risking the materials to treat and care for them not being there at all.

26 Likes

Well sure, but only because the only thing she cares about is herself. That’s the only reason she’s in congress - to get attention. She has no policy interests or projects she cares about. Even her fellow Republicans recognize that and ignore her, unless they too (like Gaetz) are looking for attention themselves.

I feel, in my darkest moments, that we need to start allowing hospitals to just turn away vaccine refusers when they come in with covid. It’d free up ICU space and resources, and improve the mental health of those who work there, who are currently so demoralized by all these unnecessarily sick people. At the very least in the states that have passed these kinds of laws about getting to refuse treatment (which tend to coincide with states with high covid numbers). It’s only fair, according to Republican notions of fairness.

12 Likes

Sadly, the average doctor (excluding fuckwits who really would take advantage of being allowed to not treat LGBQT etc. people) has more ethics. I’d sure like to see some of them declare that their religion only allows them to treat people who have played their part by getting vaccinated. But that’s a slippery slope and next we’ll be wondering if doctors should be allowed to declare their religion does not allow them to treat people who would not help themselves, and classify the obese as all being in that class of people.

But yeah, in my darker moments I also wonder if anyone who has wilfully refused vaccination when it was available to them should be barred from any ICU treatment for Covid. I’m with you there, I’m afraid to say.

11 Likes

Was that an intentional nod to the Valeria character in Conan the Barbarian?

Because that line was supposed to be cheeky, “Do you want to live forever?”

gun violence may be infectious, but Greene likely doesn’t want to learn more.

3 Likes

Sounds like a nice Epithat

1 Like

That already happened last year. And society’s answer to caregivers was “just re-use your gowns, and your masks, and use incorrect grade masks, and crappy non-medical gloves, and hope you don’t die.”

We already treat people who don’t care for themselves. Drunk drivers who crash their car make the perfect example. The list of self-induced reasons to seek medical care is long, and we don’t turn anyone away. Taking care of covidiots (not to be confused with covidians*) is really no different. It seems ragingly more annoying right now, though!

*covidians have covid for any reason, and is a more general term with no prejudice baked into the use of the terminology.

covidiots are a subset of covidians, and got the virus by being stupid - not using masks, refusing vaccines, having a family reunion last summer and killing off grandmom, etc

10 Likes

In addition to what was already said about ethics, turning people away who are truly in need of help is also demoralizing. Sure, you’re shifting to another track with an intentionally smaller impact, but even if you avert your gaze, you’re still going to know you’re responsible for what happens to that one person. Not enough callous jerkwads in the field too avoid that.

9 Likes

I think the Republicans are more like these

There might be bigger projectors around, but I haven’t seen any evidence of them.

13 Likes

5 Likes

“We can’t live forever,”

Indeed, you first smarty lady.

4 Likes

We can’t live forever, this is true. It’s just that many of us are not in the death cult hastening our own demise.

6 Likes

I know. My point was that if we allow

we risk ending up NOT treating

3 Likes

How are you about wearing pants?

Or for that matter who do our government think they are telling us where we can urinate or defecate?

5 Likes