Marjorie Taylor Greene pushing for party rebrand: "We should be Christian Nationalists"

Originally published at: Marjorie Taylor Greene pushing for party rebrand: "We should be Christian Nationalists" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“I did Nazi that coming.” :roll_eyes:

50 Likes

Fasschole says … what? nothing of worth, as usual.

33 Likes

Not sure that’s actually a rebranding. Same old same old. For those paying attention.

31 Likes
21 Likes

What I find odd, and I blame pretty heavily on the anti-abortion movement, is she never addresses which kind of Xian she is. Catholic? Lutheran? Anglican? Southern Baptist? Northern Baptist? Christian Scientist? Mormon? Jehovah’s Witness?

There are over 40,000 recognized sects of Xianity. While I understand when she says XIan nationalist, she means her sect of Xianity, it still really freaking annoys me that no other Xian is asking that question.

23 Likes

I feel like at this point Christian Nationalist kind of is its own type of Christian. None of the others that you mentioned have it as a point of doctrine that Jesus wants America to be full of AR-15s, for instance.

30 Likes

Nationalist Christian is so cumbersome. We need something shorter, pithier, maybe something like “Nat-C”. “Look at that bunch of Nat-Cs over there.”

62 Likes

Christo-fascism is her “religion.”

19 Likes

I guess we can finally start taxing the churches then?

18 Likes

…says a representative of the only country where that happens…

17 Likes

Definitely the Sanctuary Church does?

Modern Evangelical is implied (with a side of Prosperity Gospel). They consider themselves the only true Christians. Other forms of Christianity are considered vaguely acceptable stepping stones towards Evangelicalism, but that’s as generous as they get. Occasional mentions of anything “Judeo” are token signs of ostensible respect for history and dogwhistles for Israel policy. That’s as far as any of it goes when they say “Christian”.

19 Likes

I don’t think Tony Benn’s Christian beliefs would be liked by Empty.

My guess?

19 Likes

Oh shit! She said the loud part out loud!

I keep seeing stuff I think will split the GOP in two and somehow they just stick together, grumbling in private lest they get primaried or “RINO’d.”

17 Likes

No True Scotsman fallacy. Great example of it.

The GOP doesn’t have to rebrand since this IS their brand, but I’m pretty sure they’d like her to stop saying the quiet parts out loud.

9 Likes

Exactly what the Founders wanted: a State-Church alliance that would make either unquestionable.

6 Likes

Liberation theology.

1 Like

Counting down to MTG saying, “You know, Hitler had some really good ideas…”

9 Likes

When they aren’t even trying to hide or brand it as something more palatable/plausible deniability - you know it is a danger than needs to be resisted at every opportunity.