Mark Zuckerberg won a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournament

Originally published at: Mark Zuckerberg won a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournament | Boing Boing

2 Likes

well…

1 Like

I can imagine his technique. While in a close hold he whispers “let me win or I’ll tell everyone how you’ve been following Nickleback and Ted Nugent and stalking your ex girlfriends”

22 Likes

Not really a surprise. All a question of having the time to work out and affording round the clock sparring partners, I guess.

It’s not like he’s spending his time running a company, is it?

16 Likes

Just to be clear, it was a white belt tournament. For those who don’t know, this will be a random mix of ten locals who want to show up to the tournament that day who have been training for anywhere from a few months to a couple of years. And in his case he would have been in a master’s tournament, which means old people.* So it’s a random mix of ten locals who are 40 or over and started training in their 30s.

I watched the match and it was a pretty standard white-belt match. But it was actually quite humanizing to see him moving awkwardly like every other BJJ beginner. It looks a lot like when you see a 7-year-old doing karate for the first time. But I love that he’s deciding to devote himself to BJJ and will presumably (of course!) be stepping down from his role at Meta in order to train full time.

*In case it’s not clear, I also spar with old people, being one myself.

25 Likes

BJ I get, but whats the second J for? Jamboree?

6 Likes

The One with the Ultimate Fighting Champion

3 Likes

BIRL! Descending Trapezoid! This is what we want!

1 Like

How did he do that without any legs?

17 Likes

I don’t know about anyone else, but this is hitting me with strong John DuPont energy.

6 Likes

They’re a liability, he’s immune to leg locks and ankle locks.

4 Likes

You mean a record-setter* like John DuPont?

*Only member of the Forbes 400 to be convicted of murder!

2 Likes

Meh. Good for him. BJJ has a lot of strategic elements to it. It was a white belt match, so still a novice and would get creamed by a black belt. But winning against other novices doesn’t seem unlikely.

I figure the more time he spends on the mats, the less time he spends messing around with FB, etal.

5 Likes

A human found an interest, worked hard, and achieved a modest goal. Good for him.

8 Likes

But aren’t we constantly being told that the megarich class like Zuckerberg are megarich because they pour all of their time into work?

Is this a lie???

4 Likes

Unimpressed Spongebob Squarepants GIF

I, personally, look foward to the day when we don’t have to hear about the exploits of rich assholes as if it’s meaningful… (not that that is what you’re doing, @dnealy… just what others seem to revel in)…

6 Likes

Wasn’t this a Friends episode?

1 Like

woah, I just learned the word conchologist* earlier today!

*which would be a very fun name for a martial artist

1 Like

1 Like

Came to say the same. This is the exact plot of the episode where Monica dates the tech douchebag who insists on “conquering the physical world” now that he’s “conquered the tech world” and “conquered the business world”. :roll_eyes::face_vomiting:

3 Likes