Married couple get divorced so their girlfriend doesn't get jealous

That’s what my Wife says every time she gets a little short with Mom. BTW: I call my Mother in Law Mom, she adopted me, and I finally found out what I was missing all those years, unconditional love & acceptance.

27 Likes

That is correct. Polygamy (marriage between more than two people) is illegal in the US.

9 Likes

Perhaps to challenge misconceptions that only fringe religious groups practice such relationships, and that such relationships aren’t fully consensual.

29 Likes

I’m not worried about the effect of this particular arrangement, per se, on the kids. I’d think the problems are likely to come from outside. Intolerant family members and acquaintances. Hostile strangers and work colleagues. And perhaps worse… schoolmates. This family’s children will have to be strong to weather that.

8 Likes

Wait, maybe I missed this detail, why is Kuntz planning on marrying one of the Kaisers? How does that help?

16 Likes

Do you keep your relationships secret? No? What makes you so special, then?

26 Likes

This is exactly the same argument that’s deployed against gay adoption and interracial couples.

35 Likes

While I do not keep mine a secret, I also do not announce it in a press conference.

8 Likes

That is true. But they’ll probably be better equipped than most. Also, kids are often a lot more accepting of and nonchalant about non-traditional relationships than adults who didn’t grow up in a world where anything but the traditional Western family was ever openly discussed. I think we sometimes don’t give kids enough credit.

15 Likes

I’m afraid that this might cause jealousy. We’ll see,

5 Likes

heh ninja’d

This.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t the same question be asked of those who have ‘traditional’ arrangements? Is the questioning a function of some particular dislike?

10 Likes

If they’re happy, that’s good.

If they were friends of mine, I’d want to bring up the likely violation of the totally sciencey half-age-plus-seven rule.

10 Likes

Me neither, but I gather there’s some sort of precedent:

EDIT:
And, as for adopting one’s significant other:

2 Likes

Why yes. Yes it did.

5 Likes

I can note that my daughter is pretty well-adjusted and well-loved in her, effectively, three-parent polyamorous family. She’s quite happy that she’ll have a half-sibling in a few months.

21 Likes

oh no doubt…same reply from me as to why this is though.

To be fair…JUST TO BE FAIR…announcing a relationship status is different than the actual wedding ceremony itself. Which for the majority of people (culturally and religiously speaking) is considered a big to-do and normally a spectacle and event regardless of the size or public viewing of it. Know what I mean?

3 Likes

Sounds like a polyamory triad that is working fine.

And why do they have to get married anyhow?

7 Likes

I’m not arguing against the arrangement, because I’m not. I was responding to a question pertaining to why I was worried about the kids.

Don’t YOU think that the kids are going to feel the heat… especially these days? Your answer/opinion on that would be appreciated.

I seriously was thinking this. I was trying to do the math and thought “Isn’t she a bit young for EITHER of them?!”

But then, I am old fashioned and feel I cannot handle more than one partner in a relationship anyway…so maybe I’m just an ageist too.

9 Likes