Marriott removing desks from its hotel rooms "because Millennials"

I’m originally from the Central Valley, so SLO was the place we’d go to for vacations. The Madonna Inn is definitely a landmark, but I’ve never bothered to drop by and visit.

These days we stay at the Marriott Courtyard down the freeway.

1 Like

Where? I’m from Stockton. You must never go there.

2 Likes

Fuuuuuuuck noooooooooooo. This Millenial cannot work without a desk. I’d be pissed.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right about Stockton.:wink: A friend of my husband got mugged during business trip in the mid nineties.

But my hometown isn’t that much better (Visalia).

2 Likes

Oh you totally have to go at least once.
The kid totally loved it…
DSC03046 by Tobin Lathrop, on Flickr

2 Likes

I stayed in the Jupiter for XOXO back in August. Great hipster place.

1 Like

The most valuable corporate structure ever to be owned by one man could not have had humbler headquarters in the beginning. Room 223 of the Wilburhampton was eleven feet long and eight feet wide, and had neither telephone nor desk.
What it did have was a bed, a three-drawer dresser, old newspapers lining the drawers, and, in the bottom drawer, a Gideon Bible. The newspaper page that lined the middle drawer was a page of stock-market quotations from fourteen years before.
There is a riddle about a man who is locked in a room with nothing but a bed and a calendar, and the question is: How does he survive?
The answer is: He eats dates from the calendar and drinks water from the springs of the bed.

–Kurt Vonnegut, Sirens of Titan

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.