Mars rover found a "treasure" of organic matter, possible signature of life

Originally published at: Mars rover found a "treasure" of organic matter, possible signature of life | Boing Boing

8 Likes

marvin

11 Likes

1 Like

Watching this video at full resolution on a large monitor is disconcertingly awesome.

SHERLOC shines a light and WATSON takes a picture – how long did they take to make the acronyms? When I heard about this on the news I did wonder if there was something on the lens/detector whatever it is that interprets the UV.

Having worked on large scientific/engineering things the acronym/initialism can be as much work as the actual work. Usually (always) it’s more fun!

Next level is to have a publicly presentable explanation and hopefully something dirty or reflective of internal politics. I’m not calling the detective and his mate out there of course. I’m sure they’re on the up-and-up.

My best was ITAPS - either “Innovative Technique for Analyzing Pathways and Scenarios” or “Incorrect Tools Always Pounding Screws”. Sort of a communal self-soothing attempt for having had the Feds push a stupid idea on us.

3 Likes

It’s probably just a thoat turd.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.