NASA working to bring evidence of Martian life back to Earth

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/27/nasa-working-to-bring-evidence-of-martian-life-back-to-earth.html

7 Likes

12 Likes

Bringing evidence of microbial Martian life back to Earth?

Oh dear. We all know how this ends, don’t we.

16 Likes

As cool as a sample return mission would be, I’m a little bit skeptical that it’s more cost effective to do that than it would be to just send another lander or two that has better science equipment onboard. What specific tests do they need to do that can’t be done on the surface of Mars?

5 Likes

Do you want brain-eating zombies? That’s how we get brain-eating zombies.

8 Likes

they’re still using moon rocks for new research. i’d imagine the idea is that, the more people that they can be given to, the better the science will be.

6 Likes

:confused:

NASA Scrapping Finished $450 Million Moon Rover, Will Send Dead Weight "Simulator" to Moon in Its Place

3 Likes

Take too long? We’ve only got the entire future of humanity (or am i being optimistic :grimacing:?)

1 Like

Testing the scientific accuracy of the Andromeda Strain’s plot?

4 Likes

Let’s send Elon Musk to go get the samples.
Not SpaceX. Musk himself.
Elon Musk Space GIF by Pudgy Penguins

6 Likes

I’m continuing to research the samples of space rocks I collected.

11 Likes

Here’s a working link to said game. (currently on sale on steam, also available on other platforms)

7 Likes

Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

3 Likes

and here i am, still working on my hurricane reserve of astronauts ice cream!

7 Likes

Martians, here? Sounds good to me.

7 Likes

Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic…

They’ve learned from their last attempt not to send war machines when microbes will do the job.

9 Likes

11 Likes

Well, sent me off in to a bit of Googling to find where the video was shot, and how come it featured Rachel Welch…

7 Likes

Meanwhile, closer to home

5 Likes

Scientists: "Our latest findings indicate that our previous estimates of when complex life on Earth began may be significantly inaccurate.”

Creationists: “WOO HOOOOOO!!”

Scientists: "We have new evidence that complex life on Earth began much earlier than previously believed.”

Creationists: “BOOOOOOO!!”

4 Likes