Martin Shkreli owes IRS $1.6 million

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/25/martin-shkreli-owes-irs-1-6-m.html

4 Likes

Wasn’t he supposed to be a “billionaire”?

7 Likes

That’s a lot of prison commissary food. Here - never say I didn’t do anything for you.

3 Likes

No? What makes you think that? I haven’t seen anything reporting his net worth at greater than $70 million.

the price of an HIV drug

Come on, let’s apply some basic journalistic standards here. Daraprim is not an HIV drug, it’s a drug for certain parasitic and fungal infections. It’s used as a treatment for some secondary infections that can result from HIV, but so are anti-biotics and we don’t call anti-biotics HIV drugs.

2 Likes

All right? Now can you stop whining about the IRS taking their measly ten thousand?

4 Likes

Daraprim is a drug to treat toxoplasmosis infection. In most people, this is a fairly innocuous infection. But for people with HIV/AIDS, it can cause brain disease and death.

Its primary use is specifically indicated for HIV/AIDS patients.

I would suggest five seconds with Google before accusing someone of not having “journalistic standards”.

13 Likes

te2nor

3 Likes

He was but commissary prices suddenly skyrocketed

6 Likes

HIV is one reason toxoplasmosis could be more serious, but it’s not the only one. People can be immunocompromised for many reasons. They could be transplant recipients and on immunosuppressants. It’s not an HIV drug and the article is wrong.

2 Likes

I hate this guy, but it would be Cruel and unusual punishment, to take a man’s rare Wu-Tang Clan album!
I guess for this guy we could make an exception.

1 Like

The sad part is, I fear the beauty of the Wu-Tang Clan will be as lost on the IRS as much as it was on Shkreli.

4 Likes

He’s going to have to stamp out a lot of license plates to pay that off.

2 Likes

They could hike the price of license plates, tho.

4 Likes

It is not a drug to treat HIV itself.

it’s a drug to treat an infection that’s primarily dangerous for people whose immune systems are compromised. Its makers specifically indicate HIV/AIDS patients as its primary users. It’s a drug mostly used by HIV patients.

Feel free to continue to split hairs if it’s somehow fun for you to complain.

5 Likes

At least Westworld appreciates their artistry:

Protect Ya’ Neck.

5 Likes

I couldn’t believe that when I heard it. Dolla dolla bill y’all.

3 Likes

At first I was like, why does that sound so oddly familiar?

Then, when it hit me, I was like:

Well played with the juxtapositioning, WW; well played.

3 Likes

Heather Bresch still free, still sticking harder it to the losers that Shkreli ever could.

3 Likes