Shkrelifreude: while Martin Shkreli rots in prison, his price-gouging pharma company is hemorrhaging money

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/20/finance-pharma.html

4 Likes

I don’t know if he’s rotting. It’s not like he’s in a supermax.

There’s a fair amount of contraband available - and his money will still matter.

“When I was at Fort Dix, I paid one inmate to clean my room, another to wash my clothes, and a third to smuggle me food from the kitchen. I felt like I was living like a king for around $500 a month, so it’s fair to say Shkreli will be able to buy himself a decent lifestyle, too, assuming he still has access to some cash.”

5 Likes

He is 50% owner of a company still surely worth millions of dollars. He is still going to be in the top few % of net worth people when he gets out, if not the top 1%. Not saying it won’t be disappointing to him, but massive inequality means that someone can start out filthy rich, lose 95% of their net worth and still be ridiculously better off than the rest of us. I’ll be content when he is working for $13/hr somewhere to put food in his mouth and a roof over his head; otherwise this kind of story is not really satisfying to anyone who wishes monsters like him would get their just desserts.

8 Likes

But don’t worry, Mylan, et al, are still making tons of money, and none of their executives are in jail.

2 Likes

It’s unfair! Repeal the law of supply and demand!

2 Likes

If he hadn’t been foolish enough to rip off his financial superiors he’d be walking away with a mint right now and offloading the company for scrap, turning a profit there, too. That’s how vulture capital works.

1 Like

I think we need an internet meme. Something like, “Every time a bad thing happens to Martin Shkreli, another angel gets its wings”.

5 Likes

That can be tough to maintain for more than a few years without a job. But I guess it depends on how rich the person is.

What I wonder is how much does an inmate charge not to beat a rich guy once a week. $50? $100?

$6,000 a year sounds doable for club fed denizens

wiki says on him:

“Net worth US$ 27.1 million (March 2018)”

You also have to factor in the punchability of his face though. If I had a face like that I’d probably smack myself out of pure reflex every time I glimpsed a mirror.

7 Likes

I’d watch that.

imageimage

8 Likes

Well that is nice, but the rotten system that permits such behavior is still largely in place.

2 Likes

that picture isn’t very current, alas.
Once he was a giant among men, known to have the most punchable face in 3 countries, some said in the world, but age mocks us all, and they have mocked this many most of all! I don’t know, maybe I’d still smoosh a pie in his face, but for how much longer? Poor bastard no longer getting punched at the rate he should, time is the most cruel of all I tell you.

1 Like

He may be a scumbag, but he’s no worse than any other pharmaceutical executive in this country. in Congress put on such a show questioning him, but everything he did is completely legal in Congress has the ability to change that but doesn’t. And where you’re wrong is that this guy started out dirt poor, the son of Albanian immigrant janitors, and he is 100% self made. He may be unlikable, but he’s far from the worst.

1 Like

You’re 100% right. he didn’t do anything that pharmaceutical executive don’t do everyday, he just acted like an ass about it and didn’t have a good PR department do the spin for him.

1 Like

Or a daddy in the Senate.

…The company’s revenue, which is largely reliant on Daraprim sales, peaked in 2016, reaching more than $78.5 million on the year and helping the company to a profit of $1.3 million…

OK, STOP   [apologies to Pod Save America]

If they’re charging $750 a pill, their profit should dwarf their expenses. The only way the 2016 “profit” can be a mere 1.3 million, is if there’s some incredibly creative corporate expensing going on…

5 Likes

Yes, but he has disrespected Wu-Tang Clan. There are doors money does not reopen.

1 Like

Dumber. They steal from poor people. He stole from rich people.

–sad trombone–

2 Likes

Wow, his eyes don’t look like his mouth.

2 Likes