Marvel’s Defenders series gets a teaser trailer and a premiere date

lol - I have to sorta agree - it is schlocky, but so is most of TV. I honestly don’t think DD was any better.

I like JJ because she is far more interesting and her path is far more interesting, but DD, LC and IF, they are all just comic bookie. yes, some of them may be more well shot than others, but they all suffer the same plot holes and super hero deus ex machina stuff IMO.

If it weren’t for binge watching and the modern on demand delivery, I probably wouldn’t be watching them.

2 Likes

I thought what made DD and JJ watchable were the sidekicks, not the main characters. In DD I loved the earnestness of Foggy and the idealism of Patsy in JJ. I didn’t find Matt or Jessica superhero characters very interesting. I found I just wanted to smack Danny, whereas I just wanted Luke to get some ambition and do something with his life.

I have hopes for Defenders, but I think a much more interesting series would be about Claire Temple the nurse that keeps getting mixed up in all these superhero stories.

6 Likes

Also, it helps to remember that the first season of DD, jessica jones and luke cage had very distinct styles to them: they used music, colour, lighting and even character placement to great effect. iron fist was a lesser effort by comparison with it’s bland palette and forgettable music/characters/set pieces.

3 Likes

Well, keeping in mind that Claire Temple is likely taking up the role taken by “Night Nurse” in the comics universe she’s sure to feature again in Defenders. A series of her own is probably too much to ask for, she’s very much a support character for other NYC based heroes.

3 Likes

IF is Metro NYC.

Glass and metal skyscraper corporatism. I think the blandness reflects that.

Mixed with a little throwback urbanism and Chinatown.

I’m surprised they didn’t use a little more Times Square in there.

1 Like

Those other shows didn’t need to have incredibly skilled fight scenes to sell their characters though. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones have super-strength, so they can basically win fights by being human bulldozers. Daredevil had some martial arts training but at the end of the day he’s mostly just a brawler who wants it more than the other guy and often gets the crap kicked out of him along the way. But when your character is literally supposed to be the most incredible Kung-Fu champion on the planet then you had better pull out some next-level Bruce Lee action when it comes to fight choreography.

2 Likes

This is where I diverge a bit as well…the modern theory more and more points to a very brawler like MMA style as the evolution of fighting. DD had quite a bit of training, didn’t he? not anywhere near the immersion Danny supposedly had, but still I guess I wasn’t watching IF for the fighting, especially once it was cast and there wasn’t someone like Tony Jaa in the role, so my expectations were nil, based on that and the fighting in DD/JJ/LC.

1 Like

I would be much obliged to the writers of Netflix Marvel-verse if they would please give Ms. Dawson something more to do that roll her eyes as the audience stand in every time the suspension of disbelief between reality and comic-book reality gets strained. She a great bridging character and but… c’mon. There’s got to be other ways to communicate that sentiment or get the audience/character past those kind of incongruities.

With luck, she’s at DHQ lining up gauze, disinfectant, and eyerolling commentary about strategy.

2 Likes

IF was an origin story that should have been 6.5 eps long. Dude’s chi was fucked up. I get it. The turn is that he gets past it and… re-becomes the Iron Fist. Singular. The PRCA found footage of the earlier IF (w/2 fists) shows him up and his diminished power compared to the real thing is telling. I think IF as it stands is as it was intended, it was just the wrong story for 13 eps.

Looking forward to the teamup, though. W/danny in the background and working less hard to stay centered.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was waiting for him to fire up both fists after watching the footage as well. But I suppose we have that and the wtf happened to Kun Lun to look forward to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.