Marvel's 'Hawkeye' trailer

Originally published at: Marvel's 'Hawkeye' trailer | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I am totally here for Renner’s big “tired dad” energy

14 Likes

Not a movie, it is a streaming series.

6 Likes

Don’t knock it till you tried it, but yeah, it’s very tired and time to put the Avengers to bed, again.

1 Like

Kate Bishop becomes Hawkeye in the comics after Barton retires (for a while… or dies… and is resurrected… and comics are very much like soap operas but with more muscles). I thought the MCU would have his daughter pick up the mantle, but interesting choice here and I really dug the comic vibe of this. Very funny and engaging.

6 Likes

Yeah, but the plucky sidekick is played by Hailee Steinfeld, so it definitely gets a solid chance from me.

But wait…Florence Pugh, Vera Farmiga…yeah, I’m in.

5 Likes

‘as yet unnamed’ ? The subtitles clearly say [Kate Bishop].

1 Like

Pizza Dog or GTFO.

4 Likes

Lucky is there wearing reindeer antlers.

2 Likes

Kate Bishop is Hawkeye. Clint Barton is her plucky sidekick.

5 Likes

The real Hawkeye and plucky sidekick.
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 9.10.27 AM

21 Likes

I’m liking the big Die Hard vibe.

6 Likes

Money must have been too good to pass up… or a very binding contract… No one likes Hawkeye , he’s a punchline who has yet to make an impact in the MCU.

His character is only interesting because he’s pretty much the only Avenger with a true family - here they squander that story-telling opportunity and push the fam into the background in favour of some new addition… who can’t become a love interest, can’t be a substitute daughter… achhhhh.

MCU has shot it’s load, the next phase into a multiverse is just grasping at straws trying to keep their IP going. We’re heading towards DCU level of bad.

Just make a movie with Rogers and Carter teaming up, then showing them living happy and growing old together… gawd. I’m not for sappy stuff, but … if we only got one more MCU film, THAT would do the trick.

Maybe that storyline is covered in the musical that this preview references:

3 Likes

You get those folks to tour on skates and you’ve got a very Disney’esque property. Or a live-action Robo Chicken skit.

3 Likes

While I think you have a great point about choosing not to make this about him and his family and it would have been awesome for Marvel to continue to tap into those roots as they have in the past (Ant-man being the best example), you jump the shark on the rest of your comment. WandaVision was excellent, Shang-Chi is doing great in theaters and has gotten great reviews, and Loki was solid entertainment. Falcon & Winter Soldier is about the closest they’ve come to a DC dud, and it was still better than anything DC has put out since the first Wonder Woman, with the exception of Doom Patrol (but little is as good as Doom Patrol… seriously, they should tap the show runner of DP and put them in charge of all their live action stuff, it would be FAR better).

Marvel continues to hire the best writers, directors, and actors available. Not every show will be a hit, but their most recent work has been far from misses.

But, opinions. Everyone has them. Mine’s just as flawed since I continue to love what Marvel is doing even as they expand into a multi-verse. More stories, more variety. Hawkeye will be the last show I get to watch, though, since I’ve canceled Disney+ once my current year long subscription expires and I won’t renew (because Disney is evil).

This looks fun. And Hawkeye got a great spotlight in Age of Ultron, both on the family dynamic AND in his growth and mentoring of Wanda. First time I ever liked him, he was great in that film. Plus, this is clearly a show to hand off the mantle because Jeremy Renner isn’t getting any younger and his contract technically ended after Endgame.

7 Likes

He’s kind of a joke when you put him on a team comprised of people who can drop-kick a building or have actual godlike powers or the ability to bend reality itself, but he might have potential as a standalone character in a lower-stakes espionage type setting.

Daredevil was a pretty interesting character when he was fighting Kingpin but I think we can all agree that he probably wouldn’t have been on the A-list for fighting Thanos.

4 Likes

I like the character. I can’t say I like Renner’s grim portrayal and I’d have preferred someone who made the role more fun but I still enjoy the bizarre angle of “just a dude with a bow” running with the supers.

1 Like

If ever we need to defeat the big bad guy by shooting an apple off his head at 100 yards… we’ll know who to call.

1 Like

Some people like their movies about super powered behemoths grounded in reality, some are ok with the silliness of bow-dude! Give me bow-dude.

4 Likes