Maryland rapists have child rights after all-male panel fails to protect victims with bill

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/17/maryland-rapists-have-child-ri.html

7 Likes

Yet another example of how it really isn’t about protecting the children at all.

38 Likes

I keep checking above headlines for The Onion masthead, but this insanity is real.

16 Likes

Valar Morghulis.

22 Likes

I can’t like this, but I thank you for reporting this. I hope Del. Kathleen Dumais is able to muster up a 10th(!) attempt on a wave of outrage, and I hope I live to see ~80% less men in government.

18 Likes

When will women realize that a baby which is the result from a rape is a “gift from God”

Ask any elderly republican male lawmaker and he will confirm this statement.

21 Likes

Right. For a brief moment i had a difficult time trying to understand what/who was behind the non decision, then realized it is about fucking abortion again. :frowning:

15 Likes

Next up: Maryland legislators will prevent stabbing victims from having their wounds sutured, because the stabber has a right to the wounds they made.

18 Likes

So this is all just part of a slippery slope argument, then? If rapists’ parental rights can be terminated, then something-something abortion?

It’s the gun rights equivalent of saying everyone should be able to own a personal surface-to-air missile, I guess.

11 Likes

Well, it doesn’t necessarily mean anything but the panel of 5 was hand picked by two registered democrats.

I’m obviously not surprised surprised; but it seems odd that you’d even need a specific carve-out declaring you an unsuitable candidate for shared custody if you’ve been convicted of a violent felony against your partner; sexual or otherwise(and even if the violent felony was against someone else entirely; shouldn’t that be a pretty strong factor against any consideration of letting you interact with children; unless very compellingly distant/reformed/etc?)

It’s also a bit depressing, given that there’s a very strong argument against allowing rapists custody under even uber-retro ‘property’ theories of women. It’s routine to force criminals to disgorge the profits of their crimes; and there are a variety of attempts at keeping them from profiting from associated stuff(true crime books, movie rights, etc.). As a rapist surely disgorgement would include loss of paternal righs?

9 Likes

It never is and never will be when old, white, “Christian” men get involved.

http://imgur.com/KK1eVME

7 Likes

It just proves that men, regardless of their party affiliations, should not be making this decision.

(I shouldn’t have to add that I don’t mean to imply that no man can make a rational decision on this issue, but I probably do have to add that.)

8 Likes

Yes. This is the place in the Venn diagram of misogyny where Xtianists and MRAs overlap.

10 Likes

I completely agree, but the tone of people here (@gracchus, @vonbobo) seems to be that this must be rooted in conservative right-wing ideology, when actually, it just seems like more mundane de-prioritization of women’s issues because women aren’t involved. Still misogynistic, just not right-wing fuckery.

/pedant

6 Likes

Looks like the wolves are in charge of the hen house.

1 Like

Patriarchal BS like this continues to thrive in such mundane ways in this country because it is ultimately rooted in conservative right-wing ideology. Allowing this kind of de-prioritsation of women’s issues to stand isn’t an outcome of liberal left-wing ideology, even if it was Dems who appointed this all-male panel.

8 Likes

Why not? Is it really so difficult to believe a dem could be anti abortion?

1 Like

Not super difficult, but not generally being the party which is into that sort of thing, I might want to read what they said to that effect before jumping to that conclusion.

Similarly:

I wonder whether I’m just dumb (or maybe it’s a case of slightly US-localized title making that i don’t get because I’m not a native English speaker)?

I honestly couldn’t figure the title out before reading the article itself. I would expect something like “… rapists keep parental rights…” to say what it is about

2 Likes