"Mass brawl" erupts on British liner after "patriotic party" ends in clown encounter

I gathered from context that “tannoy” means an audible alert, but I had to Google it to learn why. My guess was that it was an abbreviation of “to annoy”, but it turns out it’s for “tantalum alloy”. i like mine better.

4 Likes

And tantalum is one of the conflict minerals (see Dodd-Frank act)

No, you want Dead Animal Returns, two doors on the left, just past Contradictions

6 Likes

But it was at the time.

That was genuinely amazing, and the twist at the end…

I don’t think people would have said the American colonies were part of the UK, though. The British Empire, perhaps.

1 Like

Does it mean dress as clowns? Wear proper suits/tuxedos? Something else?

We have costume parties where you would dress up like it’s Halloween. Cocktail attire would be formal wear (suit and ties), black tie would indicate tuxedoes. Fancy is a casual term to indicate dressing “nice”. As in “hey honey do I need to dress fancy to this party or can I wear jeans?”

2 Likes

A large portion of Anglophone new world colonists considered themselves English, and Philadelphia was the world’s second-largest Anglophone city. Colonials, yes, but ENGLISH, dammit! Except for the Scots and Welsh. But they talked funny.

2 Likes

No weirder than Xerox or Kleenex…

5 Likes

At least Visit Britain hasn’t rebranded itself as Visit England while advertising destinations in Scotland or Wales like the Dutch tourist board has.

(Most of the destinations on that page are not in Holland)

2 Likes

It is one of those everyday kind of short hands that many science fiction stories skip because it requires exposition. Instead, we often get self-explainers like “Plastisteel” or “Synthosteaks” or whatnot, instead of brand names or genericized brand names.

That sounds awesome and I want to read more about it! Can you find a source or reference? I did some searches in Dutch but I couldn’t get up any results containing this story to turn up.

From what I have gleaned (by reading replies to other posts here) the inhabitants of Florida are very like those of Essex, it is hardly surprising that it ended in a fight.

“blood everywhere” is probably translated from the more authentic Essex, “claret all over the shop”.

1 Like

That story was related several times as fact by Peter Bergman (later of the Firesign Theatre) on Radio Free Oz, Los Angeles (I forget if it was on KPFK or KPPC). I can’t point to a written source.

1 Like

“Patriotic Party Ends in Clown Attack” will henceforth and forever be the official name for the 2016 Republican Party presidential primaries.

5 Likes

Roger That!

3 Likes

The video makes this cruise look like my personal floating hell. With cheap plastic flags on.

1 Like

It also reminds me of the common story (going back at least to the years following WW2) of the student prank involving a group of workmen digging up a road, which involved calling the police and telling them some students dressed as workmen were digging up their road- then telling the workmen that some students dressed as police were coming to try to disrupt their work.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.