Massachusetts school administrator resigns after calling colleague a "kike" on live TV and referring to himself as "an Archie Bunker"

Originally published at: Massachusetts school administrator resigns after calling colleague a "kike" on live TV and referring to himself as "an Archie Bunker" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

‘Archie Bunker’ should NOT be anyone’s role model, FFS…

47 Likes

Indeed; he was supposed to be an over-the-top bigot by the social standards of 50 years ago.

57 Likes

“I’m an Archie Bunker, OK?”

I think the word he was looking for is “asshole”.

41 Likes

He could get a job as a school board member in Buffalo now

5 Likes

While by today’s standards, Bunker is just a mainstream Republican.

30 Likes

I hate to say it but that’s what people used to say behind his back

Well, that’s okay then; so long as they didn’t say it to his face :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

15 Likes

Why is this slur spelled out while other hurtful slurs are blanked out?

7 Likes

No, he was a normal bigot by the standards of 50 years ago. The difference was that elected officials wanted the Archie Bunkers to vote for them, not be them.

9 Likes

Yep. Just listen to his take on gun control. Any Trump supporter would probably agree with him and not see the obvious problem.

18 Likes

Weirdly, at the time, some people identified with Archie rather than saw him as a bigoted guy.

24 Likes

The bigots have really been emboldened to come out from beneath the paving stones. Unfortunately, this isn’t the end of this kind of thing by a longshot.

At least most people in the 1970s knew this was supposed to be funny (which, thanks to Norman Lear and that amazing cast, it still is), or at least that it was taking the piss. I’m not so sure how it would play now.

16 Likes

Thankfully, this clown is gone.
Let’s pretend he won’t be replaced by someone exactly the same, who can watch his public language a little better.

4 Likes

giphy

5 Likes

Archie Bunker was the punchline of the joke back in the day. How would it play today?
Straight up FoxNews shill Tim Allen doesn’t let himself be the punchline. Seven seasons.

9 Likes

Is Cocaine Conservative a thing? I think it is.

7 Likes

I know, and that’s the problem…

13 Likes

I feel like this gets to the heart of the matter.

7 Likes

I’d agree, except Archie DID sometimes come to (minor) epiphanies that changed his outlook a bit.

8 Likes

Pretty sure that was Mindy being facetious; she’s very aware that bigotry and prejudice are as American as apple pie…

19 Likes