Massachusetts state senator busted for kickbacks including Dunkin’ Donuts coffee

Agreed. There’s nothing finer than a small, locally own donuttery who makes a fresh bash of old fashioned sour cream donuts first thing in the morning.

All the donut chains are far removed from this.

2 Likes

But I thought state corruption is for formerly communist or third world countries! I thought this would never happen in capitalist democracies!

[/s]

1 Like
2 Likes

$1 million?
Oh how he will be ridiculed at Club Fed.

Where I am, Cambodians and Vietnamese pretty much have a lock on the donut business. The one nearest me is a local chain but it is run by a Vietnamese couple who get up insanely early to make everything they sell. And it is nom. But yeah, mostly cake donuts. Krispy Kreme is too sweet for me, personally. Plus I am partial to chocolate.

1 Like

Greater Boston has spoken. We had a Krispie Kreme, but it went out of business shortly after the novelty wore off.

Anyway, he got pounds and pounds of coffee - maybe a few doughnuts.

“Indicted”, not “incited”.

We’ve had Voodoo Donuts during visits to Portland; they are really good, imaginatively filled, dipped and coated.
However, we moved into downtown Vancouver BC last year and discovered Breka on Bute St. They are open 24 hours and make all their pastries on site. They make real French crullers! I’ve never had better crullers, dipped or filled donuts anywhere else. They don’t have a coffee pot. Every cup is an individually made Americano. You wouldn’t believe the amount of self-discipline involved in not visiting every day; they are only a block away!

3 Likes

Really? I’ve never seen them. Where would one find them? Some weird old neighborhood in Manhattan or the whole metro area?

You might ask their website. Back in the 80s, there was one at Flatbush and Dekalb.

1 Like

… but the hearts of men are easily corrupted.

4 Likes

Krispy Kremes are abominations.

Meaning I’ll only eat them occasionally, and if there’s absolutely nothing else available. (If I want good doughnuts, I have to go to Donut King in Wasilla.)

A family could live inside that!

2 Likes
2 Likes

While I did have one large silly donut when I was there (I forget the name, but it was chocolate & peanut butter filled and marshmallow fluff was probably involved), I was surprised by how light and refined some of the others were. I had a lemon cruller that was airy, dainty, bright and citrusy, and one filled with what tasted like fresh mango. I feel like they have a reputation to uphold with their donuts covered in breakfast cereal and bacon, but they still put out a really good product.

1 Like

This is why I love BB. (Genuinely. No snark!) An article about a Democratic politician being hugely corrupt and 30+ responses about doughnuts (yeah, I’m British - they ARE doughnuts). :wink:

3 Likes

As a Bostonian, the really exciting news would be a revelation that one of our state senators wasn’t hugely corrupt!

1 Like

4bc857f6dc8f106ac9e1491d65973b57--tiny-world-little-people

4 Likes

–Somewhere in this story it must bear mentioning that Dunkin Donuts’ world headquarters are in the district that Joyce represents.

I’ve never had their donughts and can’t say their coffee is spectacular, but those cups…