Matt Groening's new animated series "Disenchantment" headed to Netflix

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/23/matt-groenings-new-animated.html

5 Likes

This looks like it has a lot of Futurama in its DNA.

So I am 110% on board.

21 Likes

That’s an elf? I thought elf genes were standardized back in the 50’s with the willowy blond model? As they reach senescence, they rapidly pass through the Keebler phase to the terminal Sessions form, but Elf comma little green hasn’t been seen since the Brothers Grimm, I think.

9 Likes

Hype  

Elves come in a variety of shapes and sizes…

14 Likes

I’m less enthusiastic about this now than I would have been a few months ago. I have to say, Groening’s reaction to the “Apu controversy” has really turned me off. The dude just doesn’t get it, doesn’t want to try to get it, doesn’t want to acknowledge any aspect of what I personally feel is some legitimate beef with Apu.

And frankly, rich white guys who go out of their way to make it clear how little they give a fuck about the perspectives of, say, minorities who actually experience real prejudice and racism in their day-to-day lives? Fuck 'em.

7 Likes

OK, so if The Simpsons is the Flintstones, and Futurama is the Jetsons, then this is what - Top Cat?

3 Likes

I’m also seeing at least one callback to the very earliest episodes of The Simpsons. Never thought I’d see the Happy Little Elves make an appearance again!

15 Likes

download

12 Likes

is that a satyr issue of Elf Magazine?

2 Likes

Elf type specimen:

rob

19 Likes

I’d be down for some Wacky Races, but I suppose that’s Cartoon Chicken

2 Likes

I’d have pegged that guy for a goblin…

4 Likes

The Snorks?

2 Likes

fairies

3 Likes

I am curious.

3 Likes

It looks so much like they made gremlin bart simpson…

5 Likes

I’m down with anything from Keebler to Legolas, but when you make 'em green with pig-noses, that there’s a goblin. No two ways about it.

5 Likes

This seems like Groening had a lot of fun with the fantasy episode of the Simpsons and decided to develop and entire show in a similar setting.

2 Likes

Hey, dude, no trolls! :open_mouth:

2 Likes