Maury's show is coming to an end

Originally published at: Maury's show is coming to an end | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Was at the Udvar-Hazy extension of the Air and Space Smithsonian years ago and noticed Maury and Connie with their very large family touring the center just like normal humans.

Nothing else to add. I saw them once, is all.

6 Likes

riding a bike; it’s only really useful during childhood and is only implemented as an absolute necessity as an adult

WTF?

13 Likes

Fixed.

9 Likes

And nothing of value was lost.

10 Likes

I’d thought it had ended 20 years ago. I mean it really could have been reruns of the same 10 episodes for all it mattered.

12 Likes

Truly, Maury’s show was one of the many embarrassing things about American popular culture.

4 Likes

Really? If someone told me they watched this destructive, exploitative trash it was basically a guarantee we had nothing more to talk about. These two (and too many others) are massively responsible for the debased and performative camera-aware anti-social behavior that has defined the 21st century.

Just as Gordon Ramsay has zero interest in good food preparation or elevating restaurant service; they’re entirely in this to take advantage of often poor, ignorant and vulnerable people who speak the language of rage and selfishness and think they can be the one to break through to a higher level of social clout. In reality, they’re just sad dupes exposing their bellies to vicious predators. They’re filthy rich off of other peoples’ misery in a way that would make a hedge fund manager jealous. These are the kind of people that make me wish there really was a hell. Good riddance.

14 Likes

^^^THIS! Every. Bit. Of. THIS!

man you absolutely nailed it right there. Yes!

[meme. gif/ ThatPart]

many of the same dupes played for every bit of rage and selfishness the GQP can wring out of them. rinse and repeat

6 Likes

Yep. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that this behavior has become normalized and almost meritorious in the past few decades. The regressives see this and have been taking copious notes.

3 Likes

I probably haven’t seen an episode in at least a decade but I remember Maury looking utterly defeated and weary as he dragged himself through the motions of moderating yet another paternity dispute. You could tell his heart hadn’t been in it for a long time but the contract must have been too lucrative to walk away from.

5 Likes

I was more talking about when I was, like, 13. That’s when I loved watching Maury and Springer. Then again, any show you sneak in while cutting class seems magical.

As an adult? Yeah, those shows are reprehensible and exploitative. Genuinely enjoying them as adult is virtually impossible.

7 Likes

Happy Maury Povich GIF

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

7 Likes

But “The Price is Right?” That’s quality daytime for young and old alike!

6 Likes

Remember to spay and neuter your pets, folks.

8 Likes

Was the old host credibly accused of sexual harassment? :thinking:

It’s Jim Carey now, so…

Drew Carey Applause GIF by Mashable

5 Likes

A quick scan of Bob Barker’s wiki shows that he was indeed accused of sexual harassment.

My enjoyment of that show was not all about the host, but it does cast it in a much different light. It’s so sad, as I find it easy to not sexually harass any of my colleagues, and yet so many men won’t take the same route of not being a total shitstain for a few hours of the day.

8 Likes

That’s what I thought… didn’t mean to derail, though. But yeah, that was one show I always watched when I was home sick from school.

5 Likes

Yeah, it was always a treat to watch “The Price is Right” when playing hooky from school. In a lot of ways it did the opposite of what shows like Maury did; I liked seeing the crowd root for everyday people to win stuff.

4 Likes

I’m afraid that I’m a bit older than you and was fortunately spared seeing them in my youth. Of course, if you scratch deep enough, even the likes of Oprah has some questionable moments as well.

ETA: Actually, now that I think about it, when these shows really started I was working in bars and for some reason the management insisted that the TVs were always on. I hated it so I always put on the new-at-the-time Cartoon Network for something visually interesting. Occasionally one of the other staff would insist we put on this trash which is where my negative opinion of the shows and their fans blossomed.

2 Likes