Maybe you're gonna be the one that likes this 80s-style "Wonderwall" cover

Originally published at: Maybe you're gonna be the one that likes this 80s-style "Wonderwall" cover | Boing Boing

2 Likes

There’s a lot more Smalltown Boy to the song than Wonderwall…basically just the Wonderwall lyrics grafted on to the music and feel of Smalltown Boy

3 Likes

I love the original, but for some reason this take feels good too, in a totally different way though.

1 Like

I don’t judge anyone who likes Oasis, but I’ll be in the dislikes Wonderwall in any form group, since the band thoughtfully advised everyone they’d be bigger than the Beatles, or whatever that cheap nonsense was. Wankers.

3 Likes

What’s interesting to me is that this style is so well-represented in contemporary music that it doesn’t feel like “80’s” to me at all, just another indie synth band doing their thing. If you dropped this song on me without context (and pretending I don’t already know Wonderwall exists) I’d assume it was current.

2 Likes

Thank you. Well-executed imo.

2 Likes

I was momentarily confused by the headline because I was pretty sure “Wonderwall” came out in the '80s. I’m not sure if it’s because I don’t pay much attention to pop music and generally popular songs enter my consciousness years after they came out, or the '80s and '90s just blend together in my head.

I think that was the point. As soon as the music started, I heard the Bronski Beat original in my head.

1 Like

My girlfriend angrily asked if would stop singing Wonderwall.

I said maybe…

3 Likes

my boyfriend put the Mike Flowers Pops version on the first mix he ever made for me in 2001. I had no idea it was an Oasis song until, like, 2007, and frankly, I 100% agree with you. That said, I’d love to see Jimmy Somerville duet with these guys.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.