Mayor of Jackson, MS: "I believe we can pray potholes away"

Noah’s or of the covenant?

the logic is definitely faulty here, a pothole is a hole and Moses prayed part of the sea away, at best you could only really be certain of praying your pothole bigger.

I believe you can pray your potholes into sinkholes.

8 Likes

That actually works. Someone did that on my street and it was fixed by the weekend. I thank whoever prays with yellow spraypaint :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just rename them glory holes.

8 Likes

When there was a drought in Salt Lake City back in the '80’s, some politician or other said that “people were sinning too much. They should sin less and pray more.” In the years after, the Great Salt Lake started rising, till it was flooding parts of the area. Alas no one said people should start sinning again. (But they did install some huge pumps to pump the water out into the desert, just in time for the lake to go down all by itself.)

A friend of mine in SLC had a useful riposte to religious folk pressing him: “God, in his infinite wisdom, did not give me the gift of faith. Who am I to question God’s will?”

19 Likes

“Are you washed in the blood of the (medium rare) lamb?”

5 Likes

Asphalt Jesus: Finding a New Christian Faith Along the Highways of America

4 Likes

(#)NotMyAsphalt

2 Likes

God considers praying to be a form of whining. That’s why it doesn’t work.

6 Likes

You can have cards made up, you know, like: “In lieu of gifts praying for me, please donate to a charity that helps the homeless…”

Or just adopt a gravelly, disturbing voice and say, “Well, I’ll pray for you!” (In a way where it creates some ambiguity as to whether that’s “pray” with an “a” or an “e”.)

Well traditionally that is what one does with “sacrificed” animals.

2 Likes

I look forward to the day when anyone who believes in a literal interpretation of ANY religious tract full of supernatural happenings is viewed as a nutjob, not as someone who has useful ideas applicable to public service. I SO want reason to win.

2 Likes

Yeah, but without the lip-smackin’ finger-lickin’ eatin’. Otherwise, it’s not much of a sacrifice.

No, seriously - if you look at “animal sacrifice” traditions, many if not most of them are actually “kill an animal ritually before having a bbq and eating it” traditions. There are all sorts of justifications given for why it’s OK to eat the thing even though it’s ostensibly a “sacrifice” - the Greeks, for example, thought that the smell alone was pleasing to the gods (so it didn’t matter if you just happened to eat it, too)…

3 Likes

Why, those cheatin’ so-and-sos! If I were a deity, I wouldn’t stay benevolent long with believers who took me so unseriously.

2 Likes

Given the rules-lawyering, adhering-to-the-letter-and-ignoring-the-spirit and work-arounds in every religion, this may explain the total lack of any evidence for benevolent deities in action.

4 Likes

If anything, it’s a wonder lightning-smiting is as rare as it is. :wink:

3 Likes

I tell them to pray that my born-again-Christian ex finally pays his child support, since he needs the prayers more than me. This generally causes them to rapidly change the subject.

18 Likes

After a few millennia of smiting, I can imagine deities just saying, “Fuck it, I’m tired, I’m so done with these people.”

3 Likes

Yeesh. I hope it doesn’t open you up to any tiresome “No True Godsman” arguments.

5 Likes

Eh, if they have a comeback, it’s usually about how I shouldn’t have divorced him in the first place, because ditching a lying, cheating, stealing jackass was apparently very wrong of me.

Excuse my rancor, he called me out of the blue for the first time in 2 years yesterday and my blood pressure is up.

20 Likes