Mayor Pete: Obama should have left Chelsea Manning to rot in prison for 35 years

It’s been a while since I had an excuse to link one of my favorite Daily Show segment titles.

2 Likes

'Cept for the openly gay part. True Republicans deny until blatantly caught in an airport bathroom. Then they deny some more.

2 Likes

[citation needed]

4 Likes

The Iraqi journalists and children slaughtered in the Collateral Murder video, OTOH, were clearly not “people”. Their endangerment is irrelevant.

5 Likes

It certainly seems reasonable from his words that he didn’t support her receiving clemency from Obama.

And it’s just a fact that her sentence was for 35 years and the conditions she was held under constituted torture under the Geneva Convention. Solitary confinement- housing women with men in prison.

These are things Peter is bound to oppose as an officer in the US Armed Services by his oath. If another country were to have held an American service member under those conditions- would Peter have found his courage and moral compass?

“ In any camps in which women prisoners of war, as well as men, are accommodated, separate dormitories shall be provided for them.”

7 Likes

I would argue Putin’s Pet, Tulsi Gabbard, is the worst Democratic candidate.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that is a lie, he may have used different words, but the phrase perfectly captures that he could not care less about Chelsea Manning, and considers spending 35 years in prison a fair sentence for exposing US war crimes.

And then he had this to say “I certainly agree that we’ve learned things about abuses and that one way or another that needed to come out," Buttigieg said. “But in my view, the way for that to come out is through Congressional oversight, not through a breach of classified information.”

Yeah, well, these were not abuses, these were war crimes, and congress oversight did exactly nothing to expose those war crimes, and he knows that. And instead of helping to prevent war crimes in the future, he wants to throw more money at the military. He would never do anything that poses the slightest inconvenience to the status quo.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s me, confused by election results in the last two years, but I’m not so sure the Democratic base really wants a DINO for a nominee.
Mayor Pete’s squirliness is really becoming a turn off, to say the least. Of course, without strong Democratic control of Congress, the winner of the next POTUS election won’t matter as much as it should.

1 Like

Except for the Lib Dems being full of Tory defectors. They’re a far cry from the party in Charles Kennedy’s day.

1 Like

More of the current LibDem MPs are ex-Labour than ex-Tory.

1 Like

Big whoop, there are still Tories. And Lib Dems like Swinson, whose voting record isn’t pleasant reading. My point is, I liked Kennedy. I despise post-Clegg Lib Dems. And they forced this election, so they’re going to be very much held responsible for Johnson if he wins. Because they always fuck it up. Buttigieg would, you are correct, be right at home.

1 Like

Ex Tories. And the blame for Johnson can be laid squarely at the feet of the actual, continuing Tories. As for Buttigieg, he’s not one of the the ex-Republicans in the race.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.