McDonald's China debuts a cement-gray bun

I count three points. Math is my strong suit, so I don’t think I’m wrong! :wink:

1 Like

Four! The four points are…

I’ll start again.

4 Likes

The reason McDonald’s did so well is because of the car culture in the U.S.

Families would get in a car and drive somewhere far enough away that 1) they were hungry, 2) the kids had to go to the bathroom, and 3) they didn’t recognize any of the individually-owned restaurants, so it was a crapshoot whether they were going to get tasty food cooked in sanitary conditions or not.

Ray Kroc pioneered the idea of having a franchise that was recognizable as being clean, safe, inexpensive, quick, and serving the kind of food that everyone in a family could agree on.

One of his biggest issues right from the very beginning, for example, was an insistence that the bathrooms had to be cleaned on a regular and frequent basis. This was novel at the time.

4 Likes

That and canoes…
http://www.asce.org/event/2016/concrete-canoe/

That’s one of your recommended daily intakes of calcium right there.

It’s possible that there’s a dialectical difference here, but where I’m from, cattle slurry involves manure, not body parts. Slurry in food would be a starch-based thickening agent, but I wouldn’t personally use the term as this is what I’d usually think of when I hear the word:

1 Like

Yeah, that picture pretty much confirms that it’s just a steamed bun with black sesame seeds. (I’d say it looks more shiny than slimy to me, which is about normal for steamed buns.)

Oh, now that’s interesting! I hadn’t considered that it could be regarded as liquid manure. I was only thinking that it meant the consistency of the meat itself: slime or slurry or liquid. I had no idea there was another usage. Maybe it is hyperbole then.

But wait, there’s that nasty problem with e. coli and manure making its way into meat processing, isn’t there? The blasted thing is confounded, isn’t it.

2 Likes

Looks like black sesame to me, which means it would be delicious.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.