McDonald's offers burgers made with fresh beef, sales soar

Pray tell what were the “rumors regarding “the special sauce””?

Like there’s no chance of that now? You think there are no cost-cutting lowlifes as long as the “meat” is frozen?

You know what I’d be happier with from WhackDonalds? Real meat. I think what they’ve been using must be at least 50% soybean.

Years ago my sister in law was the assistant manager at a MdD’s. She told me that literally everything they sell there is loaded with tons of sugar. They even mixed sugar into the hamburger meat. The idea is to literally get people hooked on the food by giving them a sugar rush in every bite. McD’s uses literally the same business model as crack dealers. I’ve never eat at McD’s and I never will.

7 Likes

Yup - 9 grams of sugar in the Big Mac alone.

Plus a bucket of sugary drink and extra sugary ketchup. Maybe the Clown should be replaced with Willy Wonka.

3 Likes

‘Special Sauce’ … you know…

1 Like

I think your sister in law was having fun with you.
There is, indeed, a very small amount of sugar sprayed onto the fries to make them caramelize/brown when deep-fried, but if there was enough sugar to give you a “sugar rush”, don’t you think people would notice the fries tasted like candy?

Same with the burger meat. I suggest mixing enough sugar into some ground beef to give you a ‘sugar rush’ and tell me that it still tastes like savory beef. The buns on all their burgers have TONS of sugar (as all hamburger buns do, honestly). The beef, the chicken? Not so much.

In any case: no sugar, no soy.
52%20PM

3 Likes

When I worked there 30+ years ago there was a lot of pressure to minimize wastage - the person running the lines would have to answer if there was more than about 1% of the food wasted. At the same time there were timing things that meant a particular burger had to be tossed after x minutes, and countdowns for when people arrived at the back of a line to when they walked away with their food. So it was a delicate dance.

Actually surprisingly easy when it was busy - the efficiency engineers meant that every movement was accounted for and it was possible to crank out a lot of burgers very quickly. The hard part was later in the evening when there was nobody there for an hour or longer. We had to keep burgers ready to go, yet had to throw them out after a certain time, and would be in trouble if we threw out too much.

Of course, most of the staff being 14 years old, the solution was simple. Reset/move the timers on the burgers that were waiting for customers. The managers were mostly 18 at most, and would get pats on the back if wastage was low, so they didn’t usually ‘notice’. So if you went in late and had a burger and there was nobody else in the restaurant, you might be eating something over an hour old, sometimes more.

Suffice it to say I don’t eat there and haven’t in decades, aside from the occasional egg mcmuffin.

2 Likes

I’ll do that, it’s a mushy burger-flavored imitation enhanced with gobs of salt and sugar. The fries are ok, but are merely a pale shadow of the fried-in-lard versions from before the saturated fat scares.

I don’t hate McDonald’s, or other fast food, it’s just not worth eating unless it’s the only option. It’s like eating beige.

3 Likes

I used to eat at McDonalds a lot when I was young and my only experience of food was the bland stuff my mother made. When I was trying to gain weight and experimenting with how much food I could eat. I’d have 5 burgers, fries, and a shake pretty often. These were the ‘hamburgers’ and not the Big Macs. I’ve still never had any burger there but the basic little one. I ‘enjoyed’ eating there as much as I enjoyed eating anything back then.

Now that I actually know what good food tastes like, I actually enjoy food, and I can’t bring myself to go to McDonalds. Other fast food burgers taste like meat (Wendy’s especially), but McDonald’s hamburgers don’t. Now I’m curious about their fresh burgers to see if it’s any better, but I usually don’t need more meat than is in the smallest burger they have, so if it’s only the quarter-pounder, it’s probably still not going to happen.

I got really excited last year when I dropped into McDonald’s on a road trip and they had this great avocado chicken sandwich, and it seemed like they were going gourmet. But then they dropped it from their menu and I haven’t eat there again since.

So, while I’m glad that you find McDonald’s burgers tasty, I do not find it remotely delicious, and I’m about the furthest thing from a foodie in this town.

1 Like

Thanks, but I’ll stick with the Impossible Whopper

Except for visiting on road trips to eat the occasional sandwich that’s truly great, apparently?

McDonald’s isn’t great, until it is, sometimes, but even then, it isn’t. So, it’s like anything else.

3 Likes

I thought it was the square patties.

1 Like

There’s a big and always looming problem with all “value chains”: The chains include people.

1 Like

I haven’t been that drunk in half a decade (give or take a year).

4 Likes

My palette is not refined enough to taste square.

1 Like

Dingdingding! Road trips is the correct answer.
When you need to drive a long way in as little time as possible, nothing beats two or three McD’s cheeseburgers. Quick to buy in drive thru, cheap, easy to eat while driving, and they fill you up fill you up enough to drive a couple hundred more miles.

1 Like

It’s certainly uncontaminated by flavour.

1 Like

Well, to be technically accurate, the Big Mac (and it’s special sauce) was “invented” in my home town about an hour south of Pittsburgh. It was the only Mickey D’s in town when I was a young child and a rare and special treat when my dad would take me for a filet o’ fish, small fries and a shake.

Additional fun fact: that McDonalds was located in the A & P and Kresge’s (the precursor to K-Mart) shopping center, and every friday night it was the epicenter of teen life. For reasons unknown, the tradition was that all the boys would circle their cars around and around the edges of the parking lot, in a stately procession called “bopping the shop”.

2 Likes