McDonalds testing new Chicken McNugget, with 32 ingredients presumably including chicken

33 ingredients if they included cruelty.

5 Likes

That is strangely specific. Do you have hyperthymesia or–more likely–did you suspect you wouldn’t live through the night, and so placed an order for a tombstone, but the nuggets didn’t kill you and now have this macabre, dated McReminder sitting in your garage? I could see that.

8 Likes

This one doesn’t.

1 Like

I’d say the garbage man is a little overdue though.

Liked for sheer creative ‘grotesqueness.’

2 Likes

I was a bit disappointed to see Imahara in those ads. I understand wanting to make some money, but it’s a bad career move. I think it hurt Imahara’s “air of credibility”, not McDonald’s.

2 Likes

I get the impression Mr. Pollan likes bland food. :unamused:

I tried counting the number of ingredients in my chili recipe, but lost count when I started to go into the spices. I just grab whatever sounds good that day and saute my base veggies with it. It can be anywhere from 8-15 spices.

5 Likes

I haven’t looked closely at his recommendations, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t include spices under “ingredients,” even though they technically are ingredients.

5 Likes

The fact that they’re not releasing the ingredients worries me. Not for the obvious reasons, but for those who unfortunately rely on McDonald’s as a safe eating choice for things like peanut and nut allergies (which McDonald’s is very careful about).

2 Likes

yeah, he appears to be a hoopy frood, but i take his recommendations with a pinch of salt (and a dollop of hot sauce). his overall recommendations i can stand behind though.

5 Likes

Do you keep the hot sauce in your purse (or man-bag)?

~swag~

3 Likes

It looks like the author misread the source article, and it’s the current recipe, not the new one being tested, which has 32 ingredients.

From the source article on Crain’s Chicago Business (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160427/NEWS07/160429854/mcdonalds-plans-to-launch-cleaner-chicken-mcnuggets?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social):

McDonald’s declined to provide the full list of ingredients for the overhauled McNuggets. The current recipe listed on the McDonald’s website contains 32 individual ingredients, a figure that includes the oil in which the product is fried.

1 Like

And then there’s true story of the lady who called 911 because they ran out of Chicken McNuggets:

…How does a chicken come from an egg with no iron? Or thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B, C, ABCDEFG…Dude, are you serious right now?

How does a baby come out of a human without those things?

1 Like

left pocket, gotta keep it close :smiley:

Pffffft. This is the best cleaner-label of all time. Of. All. Time.
http://www.twoglasses.com/images/dr-bronner-peppermint-soap-label.jpg
Wack-a-doo beauty.

12 Likes

But, aren’t there some GMOs that are specifically about nutritional content? I’m thinking of golden rice:

Granted, this isn’t what gets people riled up about GMOs.

5 Likes

First of all, there are no vitamins beyond E and K. Second of all, proteins can (and do) contain most physiological iron. Iron is fairly labile and so most biological systems keep it sequestered. Did you seriously expect me to list all of the vitamins and minerals in eggs when it’s all one Google away? Educate yourself. Not my damn job.

7 Likes

I think a reasonable critique of the stuff that goes into food is good.

But I also think that it’s easy to give into fearmongering and platitudes. At its worst, a lot of “food paranoia” reminds me of anti-vaccine rhetoric: “I don’t understand what this is but it is definitely causing cancer!” It can be like the modern equivalent of the cave man saying “Cooking your food in fire? That’s why kids these days have these weak jaws and no appendix!” That’s not exactly useful, however rightly suspicious we are of industrialized food that we are alienated from (in the Marxist sense).

Pollan’s advice is a good starting point, but it can’t be the last word - if everyone ate like Michael Pollan, we’d have a lot more starvation.

But it is also true that food producers have abused the trust we’ve put in them, and McD’s is one of the worst abusers. Reasonable food criticism is very valuable. Reactionary ideology, less so.

7 Likes