Meet Pantone 448 C, "The ugliest color in the world"

Then it’s the hot color for the next fashion season.

1 Like

I was wondering why the fascists were using it in their war on smokers in Canada.
I think it looks really pretty, and makes me want to buy tobacco products.

Huh. I like it.

This is the shade Kennedy makes almost all of its machinist toolchests in, except they manage to make it even uglier by making it wrinkle finish.

Shit brown wrinkle paint. And they did this for decades and decades. I have no idea how the hell they ever kept any business because they charged obscene amounts of money for tool chests that weren’t even that well made on top of the hideously ugly color.

3 Likes

Can we stop color shaming? :thinking:

(I originally meant that as just a quick joke, but somewhere out there Pantone 448 C could be someone’s skin tone, so maybe it really is a bad thing to call it the ugliest color…)

2 Likes

I paint all my vehicles orange:

5 Likes

That would probably be RAL 5008 bleu gris.

1 Like

Ural or Dnepr?

1 Like

Dnepr MT-11. I love this motorcycle, but wish that spare parts would be of better quality…

2 Likes

Good excuse to buy a lathe?

2 Likes

2hwxqo

11 Likes

I was pretty close to buying an Ural with a sidecar once…
One of the cons was the question of being able to get spare parts.
I have a weakness for boxer engines, my first car was an Alfasud.
Ended up with a 1996 Africa Twin which rarely needs spare parts anyway. Except maybe for crash bars. The fairing just gets taped and retaped with black duct tape. A mate christened it “the carbon look”.

4 Likes

I got one for free when they were scrapping machine tools at my former job. They also let me take a drill press, small milling machine and ridiculously heavy shaper that weights about 1.5 tons.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t374QJE_ndZ1TmpUEZDtzfCLmAyHyIiX
I also have a CNC milling machine that can make light cuts in aluminum alloys and steel, so frequently it’s better idea to make a new part than buy defective spare. Last year I’ve machined adapters to connect a Kawasaki ZZR1100 carburator to Dnepr engine, and I’ll test them this summer.

I hear that quality of Ural parts has recently improved and new engines are really reliable. I really like that despite adding electric starter, the have kept the kickstart. Having said that, Afirca Twin is a way more practical choice, especially due to the top speed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wth, with this finish, after a few days in the shop, you’d have a permanently slag-colored tool chest:

2 Likes

In case the others don’t get it, ‘merde d’oie’ is what it is called in France. Sometimes it gets translated…

I don’t think much of the colours in this image, but I searched on ‘merde d’oie’ and got that Pantone patch.

5 Likes

I don’t think any color is beautiful or ugly in and of itself. It depends on the context.

3 Likes

I was going to write that too. I had a ‘feature wall’ before they were called that (1983?) in the bedroom of my first house that might have been that colour. It looked good next to the white walls.

However, I do remember orange paint being a new thing in the sixties. You could paint a whole wall orange. That was bad.

2 Likes

Yeah, a bit more yellow = baby shit brown.

Whole wall? I have whole room painted orange :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So, when I had a bedroom back then that had 3 yellow walls and one orange wall, you think that was bad? That was SO COOL. I could only hope to be half that trendy today.

4 Likes