Meet Pantone 448 C, "The ugliest color in the world"

I was going to write that too. I had a ‘feature wall’ before they were called that (1983?) in the bedroom of my first house that might have been that colour. It looked good next to the white walls.

However, I do remember orange paint being a new thing in the sixties. You could paint a whole wall orange. That was bad.

2 Likes

Yeah, a bit more yellow = baby shit brown.

Whole wall? I have whole room painted orange :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So, when I had a bedroom back then that had 3 yellow walls and one orange wall, you think that was bad? That was SO COOL. I could only hope to be half that trendy today.

4 Likes

I remember my elder brother painting a chest of drawers orange with green handles. That was SO COOL then - I had never seen a large area of orange before. It was also bad (meaning not good). I have a fireplace painted violet. Almost any colour can be good in the right context. But I have not managed orange yet.

My mum’s house had an orange bath & toilet and orange and white tiles. Someone must have liked it, I guess.

3 Likes

Olive green is my absolute favorite color. I feel personally ATTACKED by this news.

1 Like

I have shirts in this color. It works with my complexion. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

I’m reading this while dressed in an olive/sage green outfit head to toe. Also this is pretty much the color of my eyes. But I feel about as beautiful as I ever will as time goes on so meh…

1 Like

Well, no, actually. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pantone color swatch books for spot colors come in “solid coated” and “solid uncoated.” "

“Opaque Couché” is the French translation of “Solid Coated”, i.e. “layered opaque”. Someone who saw a swatch from the French edition of the Pantone swatch book apparently mistook the “solid coated” label on the swatch for the color name. :upside_down_face:

In English the Pantone color description is “drab dark brown”.

Adobe uses “Opaque Couché” as the name of the swatch library that contains 448C, which is probably how the confusion arose.

5 Likes

The “45” in there is the active agent, so to speak.

I, um… aren’t there people roughly this color?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.