Meet Scot, a 1,600 pound great white shark swimming around Florida

Originally published at: Meet Scot, a 1,600 pound great white shark swimming around Florida | Boing Boing

6 Likes

back to the future great scott GIF

23 Likes

You win BB today :grin:

Plus, no thanks, I do not want to meet Scot.

14 Likes

“I swear, I was abducted by aliens! They had four weird looking fins, two of which bifurcated into five smaller fins each. And they could breath in outer-space. I think they tagged me with something.”

7 Likes

What a beautiful animal.

6 Likes

Came here to post this; thrilled to see it’s already here in 1st post. :chefs kiss:

These are offshore of GA where I live, but only in months that are too damn cold to swim/dive. All good!

8 Likes

hello, Scot.
damn fine to have you come 'round down here.

7 Likes

Speaking of people being more likely to be struck by lightning than attacked by a shark…

4 Likes

please someone explain how they keep the shark alive out of the water with a hose…

2 Likes

It’s just forcing sea water over its gills - you can see it coming out of the slits behind the head. That’s basically breathing for a Great White.

ETA: Great white’s are one of the relatively few species that have to keep moving to breathe. It’s called ‘obligate ram ventilation’ - basically, swim fast with your mouth open and water goes in your mouth and gets washed out over your gills, which extract oxygen. And that’s what they are doing with the hose.

9 Likes

We’re gonna need a bigger Florida. Well, on second thought…

4 Likes

Finding Nemo Smile GIF

6 Likes

FTFY.

4 Likes

I was curious what that was all about too. Thought maybe someone was force feeding it in an effort to develop shark foie gras.

2 Likes

How did they get him in the boat though.

1 Like

It’s a submersible platform that has air chambers that can be filled to lift it out of the water. There are similar contraptions for lifting small boats out of the water while not in use.

1 Like

And big boats… (find the shark)

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.