Meet Sparkles, the robot dog who definitely isn't going to murder you

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/30/meet-sparkles-the-robot-dog-who-definitely-isnt-going-to-murder-you.html

7 Likes

Weighing Options Are You Sure GIF

9 Likes

The best part is that Sparkles doesn’t need treats for training, just launch codes.

9 Likes

Considering the fiercely loyal attachment to their old Aibos I witnessed in some friends back when you could still get parts for them, I’m somewhat surprised I haven’t seen these out there as a pet-substitute already, but I live in a suburban area. For those of you who live in cities, are these (checks) ~$3k toys gaining the same popularity, with people taking them out for walks and treating them as if they were emotional animals?

3 Likes

Sparkles compared to the furby dogbot looks like an angel.

9 Likes

14 Likes

So there are second career paths for Muppet performers!

1 Like

Obligatory:

2 Likes

That video needs the Corridor Crew to add some explosions to it.

2 Likes

I want to see it in a realistic dog costume, rather than this cartoonish version, and taken to the park to see what real dogs make of its doggie movements mimicry.

1 Like

It certainly wouldn’t fool any dogs if it didn’t smell right.

I was recently at a big puppet event in Los Angeles and there were a few skilled puppeteers who had marionette dogs walking around. Despite the lifelike movements, real dogs were generally very uninterested. Sometimes they’d take a quick sniff, then immediately move on checking out people and objects that were more interesting to them.

3 Likes

Fetch the “football” Sparky.

3 Likes

It’s not fooling anyone. :thinking: Instead of an OFF swtich, maybe the “fur” smells like something that would really make Sparkles live up to its name…

happy fire GIF by Earth Hour

Robot Wars GIF by Discovery

:smiling_imp:

5 Likes

The subtitle track is interesting.

5 Likes

Where’s Kristi Noem when you need her?

1 Like

If she’d taken one of these to the gravel pit, no one would have minded.

2 Likes

black-mirror-metalhead-004

2 Likes

It will only murder us on its first day. We will be perfectly safe for the remainder of its term.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.