Meet the band that kicked U2's leather clad ass

Beethoven’s Greatest Hits!
Debussy’s Best Concept Album!
Korsakov’s Power Ballad!

3 Likes

and a distinct lack of cowbell

1 Like

And as this review points out, this 16-minute piece is in line with that, being composed of a song and six tunes:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/cd-gloaming-gloaming

In which case, extended cuts are fair game, and I’m leaving this 12-minute masterpiece of a long non-rock song here before I go back and listen to the Gloaming’s other stuff:

And it’s not even over 8 minutes, but this, too, what the heck:

1 Like

failing to see how this kicks U2’s ass or anyone else’s. pretty sure U2 is going to be just fine.

U2 is pretty good at kicking their own ass at this point.

13 Likes

“Thick As A Brick” was one of my fav albums, ever. I used to even have a live bootleg of the thing.

5 Likes

i’ve been a fan of Iarla Ó Lionáird since his days with Afro-Celt… then his album “i could read the sky” simply blew me away. i’ve been a diehard fan ever since and i’m happy to see him here… sadly with all the prig comments.

1 Like

Why TF wouldn’t I love them? :slight_smile:

Thank you for bringing them to my/our attention.

While here I’ll just mention a few friends whose music I love too (and you might as well): Moira Smiley, Malcolm Dalglish, Sam Bartlett, Alan Gasser, Grey Larsen, Carrie Newcomer, Krista Detor… there are more, but, when I think of how lucky I have been to have known these… I could coast a long way on it…

1 Like

there should be a hyphen between leather and clad.

1 Like

Yeah, the title “opening set” should give that away! It’s usual within trad to play sets of tunes, each being rather short which would make it either stop start or really monotonous. I imagine that’s the case with most musics related to Irish trad.

To hear that process being driven to a psychedelic rhythmic extreme I recommend Congolese music. Konono No.1 play all their stuff seamlessly. You can hear the influence on Steve Reich in the technique of interlocking rhythms as the songs change. I’ve heard tapes of them from the 80s and it sounds just the same as they did when I saw them in the 00s. Mbongwasa star was in that David Byrne Beautiful Shitholes list the other day here, he’s great.

EDIT
Anything kicking the sanctimonious tax dodgers arses is good for me though. Kick em hard enough and they might cough up their fucking tax.

1 Like

A shamrock has 3 leaves - that’s the whole point of it as a symbol. 4 leaf clover is not Irish.

1 Like

It’s all that was available here but I think that you get the idea.

Don’t get me wrong - this is very good. I’m grateful to have been turned onto it, but I feel like you sort of oversold it. And comparing them to U2 is an apples-to-oranges comparison as U2 is a rawk band that doesn’t do traditional Celtic music, at least not in any formal sense. So yeah, they “kicked U2’s leather clad ass” for an award, but they also beat Sinead O’Conner and Hozier. Awards don’t mean shit and there’s no accounting for taste. In your world, the Gloaming rules and that is right and good. But again - it’s not a good comparison.

But I didn’t show up here to just be a hater. Thanks for sharing this - I’ll definitely check out The Gloaming.

And also, I agree with hecep - what’s wrong with Tull?

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I love that there are at least four kick ass Hoosiers in your list!

If you had ever been a DJ with a morning time slot, you wouldn’t be so down on long songs.

Now it’s time for me to give a long overdue “thank you” to Pink Floyd for all their long songs.

7 Likes

Do yourself a favor and skip to about 8 and a half minutes in.

So… country music?

1 Like

Sounds like not everybody loved this. If you did, though, and you aren’t already familiar with them, check out the Bothy Band.

4 Likes

Sixteen minutes is nothing.

Chart Information Network, who compiled the UK singles chart, had recently extended the permissible playing time of a chart-eligible single from 25 minutes to 40 minutes. The Orb thus decided to record a 39:57 version of “Blue Room” for a special release. “Blue Room” is the longest single to ever reach the UK charts.

4 Likes