Meet the kitchen witch who reads fortunes in blocks of cheese

Originally published at: Meet the kitchen witch who reads fortunes in blocks of cheese | Boing Boing

1 Like

I also have the power of Tyromancy. When I eat cheese, I can predict with great accuracy that I will be gassy in couple of hours.

3 Likes

kitchen witch

11 Likes

“Kitchen witch” seems double dip sexist to me.

1 Like

high quality GIF

Self-described “kitchen witch” Jennifer Billock,

Not like some dude is calling her that to degrade her. She calls herself that…

11 Likes

I can see that if it had been an insult for some random woman. Someone practicing ancient magic in their kitchen, maybe not so much?

7 Likes

“I interpret this image to suggest you will get diarrhea very soon.”

“But I’m lactose intolerant.”

“Indeed. You must eat the cheese to fulfill the prophecy!”

4 Likes

Though some may dismiss Billock’s work as hocus pocus

The sad bit is that in the 21st Century it’s only ‘some’ who realise it’s nonsense.

1 Like

EDIT:

Here’s where the general term comes from:

Regarding the usage as it was employed in the article:

That the woman in question refers to herself as such is a major difference between a microaggression and someone actively reclaiming agency over a term that has historically been used against them.

9 Likes

the divination i have received from Lord Cheesus reads:
“as you age, so you shall smell until you stand alone.”

“it is known…”

5 Likes

:musical_note:

'The Farmer in the Dell, The Farmer in the Dell...'

:musical_note:

5 Likes

The cheese stands alone!

https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=9773

1 Like

I wouldn’t know about cheese-based predictions, but something definitely smells off there. Also there might be some holes in the theory.

2 Likes

I have referred to myself as a kitchen and/or hedge witch before, specifically to separate any aspects of my eclectic domestic-focused largely atheistic spiritual practice from organized religions like Wicca or culturally rooted forms of paganism like Nordic religions, and also from the New Age tribal appropriations that come and go.

When I see that term being applied by choice in some one taking about themselves, I interpret it in that way.

It’s a hard sell to convince people there’s much reason to pay attention to your cheese before you eat it, but I actually think it can be really helpful to do things like that sometimes and there can be a psychological and spiritual benefit to doing so even if it’s also kind of absurd.

Just my two cents.

3 Likes

I concur.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.