Megachurch pastor struggles to defend $200,000 Lamborghini purchase

True, it’s specifically “White Evangelical Christianity.” But they’ve worked hard to make that the default meaning of “Christian” in the US.

It gets confusing because one doesn’t have to be white to practice “White Evangelical Christianity,” but it is a very specific strain of religion that comes from a white American culture.

6 Likes

If people like this just admitted that they worship Mammon, I wouldn’t be so hard on them. I’d also let them keep their “prosperity gospel” label so long as they distance themselves from Jeebus and the New Testament.

For the nouveau riche and the dimwitted, sure. Old money and smart money buys a reliable luxury car because they understand that time (especially time free of the kind of stress associated with driving and owning a supercar) is a more valuable commodity than the money they have.

People who drive those cars anywhere apart from a racetrack might as well be wearing solid-gold diamond-studded “stupid greedy arsehole” signs around their necks as far as I’m concerned.

7 Likes

It’s not enough to be exploitative and materialistic.

They also demand social approval.

3 Likes

Id rather have an Alfa Romeo.

Of all the things America has created that I consider true evil, the perversion of religion in this way it’s probably the most evil thing that has happened. We have gone beyond a small contingent of stupid and convinced large masses of a new definition of Christianity that is the exact opposite of everything that was still decent about Christianity.

Meanwhile these same morons decry people who belong to the Church of Satan, while they buy their pastor 65 million-dollar Jets and $200,000 Lamborghinis. The funny thing is they don’t even know how badly they are being grifted on top of how backwards Christ would see what they are doing as on top of not knowing that people in the Church of Satan don’t actually worship evil, but stand for logic and reason governing human action mostly.

The world is flipped on its head.

5 Likes

Eat the rich.

3 Likes

If that’s guaranteed Satisfaction, I’ll sign up.

Bonus 20% tithe for:

2 Likes

Lamborghini are still made in Italy by Italian workers, only ownership of the company is German (Audi/Volkswagen)

2 Likes

Most of the stunts which show up in the news and are attributed to “satanists”, the Baphomet statues outside courthouses and such, are the work of The Satanic Temple. The Church of Satan, an unrelated religious organization, seems to be a bit more of an actual religion and also a bit less rational (they have a “system of magic”).

2 Likes

Outrun Satan?

4 Likes

ahh, you are correct. I still confuse the two sometimes. Was thinking of Temple of Satan. I belong to neither because of the baggage the name brings, and I don’t like having to explain my views to ignorant people anymore and there are a lot where I live.

It is my understanding though that there are several different branches of actual religious satanism and some are quite nutty from what I hear, others worship the concept of human free will. Do I have this correct? I generally stay away from all religions, I’m closer to a nihilist but I don’t care enough to go out of my way to stop caring. My approach to religion is just saying I’ll figure it out when I’m dead like everyone else.

1 Like

That’s not even the worst of it. They were owned by Chrysler from 1987 to 1994.

Rumor in '87 or '88 had it that one of the Chrysler VPs got a ticket on I-75 for going 150. My father worked for Chrysler management at the time. He never appreciated my “retroactive Mercedes” jokes when they merged with Daimler-Benz, either.

3 Likes

I don’t need to be a global citizen
Because I’m blessed by nationality
I’m a member of a growing populace
We enforce our popularity

There are things that seem to pull us under
And there are things that drag us down
But there’s a power and a vital presence
That’s lurking all around

We’ve got the American Jesus
See him on the interstate
He helped build the president’s estate

I feel sorry for the earth’s population
'Cause so few live in the U.S.A.
At least the foreigners can copy our morality
They can visit but they cannot stay

Only precious few can garner the prosperity
It makes us walk with renewed confidence
We’ve got a place to go when we die
And the architect resides right here

Bolstering national faith
Overwhelming millions every day

He’s the farmer’s barren fields
(In God)
The force the army wields
(We trust)
The expression on the faces of the starving millions
(Because he’s one of us)

The power of the man
(Breakdown)
He’s the fuel that drives the Klan
(Cave in)
He’s the motive and conscience of the murderer
(He can redeem your sin)

He’s the preacher on T.V.
(Strong heart)
The false sincerity
(Clear mind)
The form letter that’s written by the big computers
(And infinitely kind)

The nuclear bombs
(You lose)
The kids with no moms
(We win)
And I’m fearful that he’s inside me
(He is our champion)

Yeah, we’ve got the American Jesus
See him on the interstate
(We’ve got the American Jesus)
Exercising his authority

Bolstering national faith
Overwhelming millions every day

(One nation under God)
(One nation under God)…

7 Likes

Even better, if you read on from that part you quickly get to

Acts 5
Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. 2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.

3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

5 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened. 6 Then some young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him.

7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter asked her, “Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?”

“Yes,” she said, “that is the price.”

9 Peter said to her, “How could you conspire to test the Spirit of the Lord? Listen! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.”

10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and, finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband.

5 Likes

Take that metric system!

2 Likes

As punishment, they should demote him down to a kilochurch and make him work his way back up.

10 Likes

I’d nearly forgotten just what it is those Lambos do.

Jack Chick may be dead, but some tracts write themselves.

9 Likes

so, were any lamborghini cars implicated in deiselgate?

I can’t help but think that most Lambo/Ferrari fires involve dudebros pointlessly revving their engines to show off what great rides they have. Those engines run rich for a reason, and when you start revving it, you’re going to get nice slugs of unburned fuel each time, a disaster waiting to happen.

5 Likes

You’d think Lamborghini would wise up and give their cars a hard to find expert mode. So if you are not a complete idiot you can find the option which enables its rated power to mass, and switches off an aggressive traction control system.

You get more repeat purchasers that way.

@richard77

On my recent trip to Italy I didn’t see a single Lamborghini or Ferrari. I wonder whether many Italians can afford to buy them.

2 Likes