Melania doesn't get Ivana's "first lady" joke and refers to her as "attention-seeking"

2 Likes

That was exactly what my thought was. Just because she’s lived in the US for 30 years or whatever doesn’t mean that she necessarily gets that fairly subtle distinction which I took a few reads to understand.

At least we can all agree on one thing: Malania’s skin has never looked smoother than in her newly updated official portrait.

9 Likes

I read somewhere recently that trump calls Ivana once a week. Wonder if Melania is down with that?

I’m not sure whether this is worse or better than @beschizza 's trumps…

1 Like

The post notes “she responded in the way her husband would”.
Maybe he told her what she ought to tweet.

2 Likes

@boingboing - leaving Air Brush One above the fold - just plain cruel

A friend of mine who teaches ESL noted that Melania’s public speeches suggest a weaker command of the language one might expect from someone who has been in the country for as long as she has, surrounded by others who speak English exclusively.

It’s almost as if she’s not encouraged to speak in her own home.

5 Likes

Isn’t she allegedly fluent in 3 or 4 languages?

2 Likes

Could be, but she doesn’t speak like someone who gets a whole lot of practice doing it.

Probably less to do with her education or her intelligence than the company she keeps.

3 Likes

True; whenever I’ve heard her speak English, the pattern is stilted and doesn’t flow easily like someone who uses it regularly.

4 Likes

did your MiL issue press releases when she got a wild hair across her ass?

1 Like

Globally speaking, Americans are pretty unusual in being monolinguistic. I’m not saying she’s dumb (and I’m not saying monolinguists are either for that matter), but polyglotism is educationally less surprising in a Slovenian-born American, for whom learning other languages is more necessary than for anyone born in the States. Different emphases and different educational priorities.

2 Likes

It’d also depend on what languages she knows, although wikipedia says French, Italian, German, English, Slovenian, and Serbo-Croatian, which is a fairly good mix as European languages go; hardly a situation of a Dane who speaks Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian :wink:

This phase can be used to describe the entire Trump clan and brand.

3 Likes

She - uh - could be opinionated.

3 Likes

my thoughts exactly

Compounded by the understandable animosity that might exist between her and the ex? Yeah, I can totally see this being an over reaction, but one all too easily made.

Trump’s WH actually made the effort to put together a communications policy?!

1 Like

I’m only fluent in 2, but it’s not like being fluent is the same as being a native speaker. There’s always something about everyday use that trips you up and gives you away.

1 Like

That pic… I can’t see any pixels from all that airbrushing.