Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer on SNL

I do agree with them that Baldwin’s Trump imitation is pretty awful. But for the fact that it seems to totally annoy Trump is the only reason to keep doing it.

9 Likes

I love the idea of Rosie playing Bannon, but if they really wanted to mess with Trump they’d get Leslie Jones to play him. She’s already on the cast.

11 Likes
16 Likes

We have no watershed here. I don’t know if we assume that little kids will be watching TV at 11:30pm because TV is cheaper than a babysitter, or if this is a result of unthinking bureaucracy. Regardless, we are awfully squeamish about little four letter words for a country that distributed postcards of lynchings not 100 years ago.

9 Likes

And the crazy thing is, only a half hour later – midnight, Eastern time – changes everything. To the point where @Midnight jokes about it at the beginning of every show: listing all the words that cannot be used because they got moved a half hour earlier. (Which, of course, all get beeped.)

6 Likes

And I witnessed in real time the reason for it (apparently the most shocking thing ever on that show, FFS):

18 Likes

She reacted immediately and covered her mouth, and everyone else’s responses showed that it was unexpected rather than planned, so I think they probably figured that bleeping was enough to cover their asses.

3 Likes

The 45 administration, in a nutshell. (nutsack?)

11 Likes

OMG OMG OMG OMG…this would absolutely produce a stroke/heart attack/rampage of epic proportions!

Which means it is her civic duty to do so.

16 Likes

I showed that in class once, to a bunch of undergrads, many of whom probably had never heard of Sinead or maybe not even John Paul… When it got to that part, they all gasped… But you know, I think history has proved Sinead right in this case.

18 Likes

100% agreed. I realize that she was suffering from an undiagnosed or at least untreated mental illness at the time which affected her self-control, but it’s a great example of how “crazy” can often be the truest sight.

8 Likes

I forgot about that. So there was no time delay before that happened?

I just love Sinead… always team Sinead! It pains me that someone so talented is often now only associated with Myle Cyrus because of a stupid “feud”… She’s such a great songwriter compared to Cyrus. I love her cover of Nothing Compares, but almost every other song on that album is better (sorry Prince!).

And also, team Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer now! [quote=“waetherman, post:32, topic:94434”]
So there was no time delay before that happened?
[/quote]

I’d guess not? Maybe it was because of that they added it? The whole country had a melt down over it, which pretty much wrecked any chance she had in the American market. But she was brave for doing it.

13 Likes
18 Likes

I remember watching this on TV. Wikipedia said this was in 1992, but I could have sworn this was much earlier, like 1987 or 1988.

…understandable…

What?!? :scream: :older_man: :scream:

[counts on fingers] The average freshman would have been 6 years old when JPII died, so if they weren’t Catholic they wouldn’t have cared. You’re correct, but I feel old now.

Undergrads must be easier to scandalize these days.

If memory serves me, he had said some questionable things about birth control around that time, and Sinead O’Connor had issues with him not recognizing the validity of female priests, and the sex abuse scandals were starting to come to light around that time, so that’s why she ripped up his picture. However, I like JPII, because he was a leading figure in getting Poland out from under totalitarian communism. I wouldn’t say history proved her right, except about the sex abuse thing if that was really a major part of it. JPII’s views on sexuality were a little archaic, but he spoke up against apartheid, helped end communist control of Poland, was against war and capital punishment, made amends for the Catholic Church’s many injustices during the Middle Ages, slave trade, and Holocaust, and was certainly more ecumenical than his predecessors and even his successors. He was the head of the Catholic Church, but still a fairly decent human being. I wouldn’t go as far as to call him evil.

6 Likes

Exactly.

3 Likes

The abuse in Catholic orphanages in Ireland were pretty egregious, so it’s not just the sex abuse scandal, but the general abuse many young women suffered for years in Ireland, things like the Magdalene laundries - it was this that she was reacting to more than anything else:

Note I didn’t call him evil, I noted how he presided over some pretty horrible crimes that hurt a lot of people, his actions in Poland not withstanding. On this she was right to feel it was a problem being ignored. The early 90s were just having the first rumblings about the depth and extent of what was and had been happening for a long time.

I’m pretty sympathetic to Catholics, BTW, as my dad’s family is catholic. And it’s catholic families that were the ones hurt by these abuses. She was right to speak out on the issue.

19 Likes

So McCarthy was so good there that it’s impossible to argue that she wasn’t a great choice to play Spicer. At the same time, did they intentionally choose a woman to play him because they knew it would piss Spicer or others in the white house off? I’d put money down that they did. The fact that they could find a female comedian who could do what McCarthy did is a testament to the fact that… women can do things well? [God, why do we need a testament to that fact. :weeping_uncontrollably:]

I think she could be right and JPII can have done a lot of good. We’ve got to have people in the world who hold our leaders to account in the words of Dee Fucking* Snider: “If that’s your best, your best won’t do.”

* I will never ever write or say that man’s name without this honorific.

11 Likes

If we’re getting onto the subject of the Catholic Church and the Pope…

6 Likes

You’ve just reminded me that the current Pope is now officially on the “good guys” half of the ledger for world leaders.

That is a sobering thought.

9 Likes