Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer on SNL

If it were a matter of principles then I think we know they have them. We know they did choose a woman, the only question is whether they did it solely because McCarthy’s Spicer was the best Spicer, or whether they did it because of that and because they knew it would needle the administration. I tend to think the latter because I find it hard to believe they looked at choices through a 100% gender-free lens. I can’t think of any other example of cross-gender impersonations from the show.

I was thinking about Rosie playing Bannon: Could she actually do a good Bannon? The effect of McCarthy as Spicer was hugely dependent on her being fantastic. But then I realized, Bannon has almost no public persona, he prefers to stay in the shadows. They could portray Bannon absolutely any way they wanted.

5 Likes

It’s happened:

Terry Sweeney as Nancy Reagan

Mary Gross as Alfalfa

12 Likes

And don’t forget Will Farrell as Janet Reno

12 Likes

At any rate, I still think it’s fair to say that when someone thinks, “Who is going to play [this man]” they think of male actors first (and the same for women), and there are probably stories behind each somewhat rare exception. Though I think the McCarthy/Spicer thing stands out because she wasn’t on the cast. Terry Sweeny probably got Nancy Reagan because he did hilarious Nancy Reagan impersonations backstage.

In this case (according to People) the head writer came up with the idea and asked McCarthy. My guess is he knows her personally - I don’t think anyone would have guessed this was in McCarthy’s repertoire from watching Mike & Molly.

Which makes me wonder, did she ever do stand-up? After this skit I’d be interested in seeing that.

6 Likes

She’s a known comedic actor, not a newbie to the scene.

2 Likes

She’s been in lots of things, and I’ve seen her in a few. I was pretty surprised by this performance, though.

Just like as a kid I watched the entire run of Roseanne without realizing how funny Roseanne Barr is, or (even more so) how watching Full House and early seasons of America’s Funniest Home Videos would not even remotely prepare you for Bob Saget’s stand-up.

7 Likes

So true!

5 Likes

That has the potential to make me laugh so hard I might have a heart attack. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

@Donald_Petersen would be able to tell us if Sagat gets uncensored while backstage these days…

6 Likes

Jesus, during table reads and rehearsals, you wouldn’t believe how blue he gets. Usually not in front of the kids.

10 Likes

Usually? :thinking:

4 Likes

Well… occasionally?

7 Likes

What never?!?

6 Likes

Perfect.

3 Likes

Rosie as Bannon, Leslie as 45.

4 Likes

OT and I’m sure @Donald_Petersen’s stories are much better and first-hand to boot but one I’ve heard is too good not to share: when Saget and another comedian were working clubs they’d sit in adjoining bathroom stalls and try to come up with the filthiest things they could say to each other.

One night Saget looked down, saw the other guy’s shoes, and said, “You know what I’d like right now? A great big cock in my ass.”

A strange voice said, “Is that so?”

Saget quickly left.

9 Likes

He’s great with the kids. But he’s also… well, Bob Saget.

6 Likes

Allegedly:

If it’s true:

11 Likes

The only thing that could make me laugh harder is watching one of Trump’s Nazi fanboys watching that.

2 Likes

I watched the early seasons as a kid, and I never realized how subversive the show was at the time for talking about class issues.

Bob Saget was a really surprising choice to play the dad on Full House.

8 Likes